Restylane in Nasolabial Folds (Smile Lines), Results Lasted About 2 Days?

I had restylane injected into my smile lines (i used to be a smoker and they are quite deep for my age). That looked great for about two days but then went back to looking almost exactly like it used to be. I am now wondering whether i need a stronger injectable, such as Juvederm. Can someone please advise me on this matter? Thank you for your time!

Restylane is perfect for smile lines but if yours are deep your may need Perlane or Juvederm

+2

I wish you had provided a photo.  It sounds like you may need more Restylane injected into the area or you may need a thicker Hyaluronic Acid filler like Juvederm or Perlane.  I wonder how many syringes were injected.  You say that they are deep so Restylane may not be the best filler for you.  Please go back to your physician and ask her what she thinks.  Let me know how your follow-up visit goes.

Restylane and Nasolabial folds

+2

It is very difficult to answer your questions without seeing a photograph. From what you are describing it sounds like there is an issue of placement and it would be best to follow up with your provider for further assessment.

Sam Naficy, MD

Restylane in nasolabial folds

+2

Radiesse would be my first choice for the nasolabial folds.  It is proven that the results last longer.  Every patient is different. Some patients can keep fillers longer than others.  Give it a couple of weeks to settle, then see your Plastic Surgeon or Dermatologist for an evaluation.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Restylane is not the best for deep nasolabial folds

+2

Radiesse has been proven to be much more effective than hyaluronic acid fillers like Restylane or Juvederm for treatment of the nasolabial folds. The problem you are describing is most likely due to the use of a superficial "wrinkle filler" like Juvederm in this area instead of a "volume filler". Several years ago a study was done where Radiesse was injected into one nasolabial fold and, in the same patient, fillers containing hyaluronic acid such as Restylane and Juvederm were injected onto the other nasolabial fold. The majority of patients and observers picked the Radiesse side as more natural looking. This is because of the difference between "stimulatory" fillers and "wrinkle" fillers.  Radiesse is injected more deeply beneath the skin and will generate more volume to create a much better lifting effect with a much more natural look. It works by stimulating your skin to produce more collagen, which is why it is so effective, and gives longer-lasting results too.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane for the smile lines

+2

Dear karenf,

I agree with the other docs, you could probably use a little more

Take a look at before and after pictures to see the difference

And yes, Juvederm and Restylane are made of the same ingredient, the thicker gels Perlane and Juvederm Ultra plus are placed a little deeper, but that decision is based on your exam

In the end, give it 2 weeks to allow all the swelling to come down, then visit your injector

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

All fillers can cause temporary swelling after injection

+2

The temporary benefit you saw after Restylane injection was mostly due to swelling (which occurs after any filler) and minimally due to the filler. Filler does not dissolve on its own in two days, so additional injections of filler should remain effective in you. Now that the swelling has resolved, the true effect of the filler can be seen. If you're not satisfied with the current volume, you should consider receiving additional filler. It is not uncommon for multiple syringes to be needed, especially with deep lines. I like Perlane and Radiesse if a great deal of volume is needed, although additional Restylane will be effective as well.

Ramona Behshad, MD
Chesterfield Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane lasted only two days

+2

Juvederm and Restylane are both HA fillers - neither is "stronger" than the other. Two days of results would be one of two things - either 1. you needed more filler than just one syringe (this could be if you even say yourself that your lines are quite deep), or 2. the filler was placed too deeply and so it's under the actual lines that you wanted filled. I'm unsure when you had the procedure done, but we recommend people wait about two weeks to assess the situation.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

+1

It would be best to provide a photo. In my opinion, you were probably under-dosed and would benefit from another syringe to see full result.

Restylane for the nasolabial folds

+1

Hello, and sorry to hear you did not obtain the desired results from your treatment. Your physician may have been a bit conservative when performing the injections. I would recommend following up with him/her, as you may benefit from a touch up. Perlane and Radiesse are also great fillers to use for the smile lines, and generally yield a fantastic result. I hope this helps, and good luck!

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Using Restylane in nasolabial folds

+1

Both Restylane and Juvederm are great products.  I like to use each for specific areas of the face. I find that they both work well to fill the lips. Juvederm is a little softer than the Restylane, and may be a better option for some patients.  It is not necessarily "stronger" than the Restylane. Restylane is a great filler to improve thethe following areas:

1) Tear trough
2) Marionette lines
3) Nasolabial folds (Smile lines)
4)  Midface
5)  Temples
6)  Chin

Overall, it depends on the preference of the physician and you may find that one may prefer one filler over another for a certain area. All of the products work well in the nasolabial folds but they have subtle differences.  In deeper folds, I would use Perlane or Juvederm Ultra Plus as they are thicker than Restylane and Juvederm Ultra. Have you tried either of these fillers before? From what it sounds like, your physician took a conservative approach. I would recommend speaking with him/her about your concern and see if they feel a touch up is necessary.

Thank you and good luck!

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon