Can Nasolabial Fold Asymmetry Be Fixed? (photo)

Is it possible to fix an asymmetrical nasolabial fold? After undergoing open rhinoplasty (which included alarplasty, tip refinement and bridge augmentation) last week, I noticed that a portion on one side of my nose 'sticks out' when I smile.

Nasolabial fold assymetry after rhinoplasty

+1

At one week after surgery, the best thing to do is wait. You should not have any surgery on the area for at least 6 months. Be patient, it will likely get better with time.

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasolabial Fold Asymmetry One Week After Rhinoplasty and Nostril Narrowing

+1

Hi A,

You should give your nose time to heal before doing anything about the nasolabial fold asymmetry.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Nasolabial folds and swelling

+1

Since you just had a rhinoplasty, you may want to give yourself time to heal.  If the nasolabial folds are still asymmetric, then fillers may help.

Can Nasolabial Fold Asymmetry Be Fixed?

+1

At one week following open rhinoplasty, the fold discrepancies likely represent swelling asymmetry, provided that you had symmetric nasolabial folds prior to surgery.  If there is residual asymmetry, filler or facial fat grafting could be pursued in several months if appropriate.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Asymmetric nasolabial folds

+1

HI there,

At one week post op, it's way too early to understand whether you'll have any asymmetry. Everything is so swollen, and often one side gets more swollen than the other.  If you were symmetric preop, you'll likely be symmetric postop as long as you have been to a reputable surgeon.

There's nothing to fix right now. All you need do is call your surgeons office and book in for an early postop appointment, and ask your surgeon.

And, don't worry too much at this time.

All the best. 

Howard Webster

Howard Webster, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Can Nasolabial Fold Asymmetry Be Fixed?

+1

Nasolabial fold asymmetry can typically be improved with dermal filler injections. I would like to know when your rhinoplasty and alar base procedures were performed. If this was performed recently (1-3 months) might improve with time. You might want to ask your surgeon about massaging the area and whether they would deem that to be safe. For an issue like this, you would need to be seen in the office and provide more history to determine exactly what might improve the asymmetry in your nasolabial folds. It would be helpful, too, to evaluate photos prior to your rhinoplasty to determine how much of the asymmetry is new. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Lone Tree Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon