Is It Possible to Get Nasolabial Angle Back?

I had Rhinoplasty 10 months ago and the Doctor released the depressor muscle, so that my tip didn’t drop when I smile.

My Nasolabial angle changed, before I had more curvature on the area where columella connects with the upper lip and more upper tooth exposure, now that area is straight, little longer and less upper tooth exposure. Can the muscle get stronger with time?

Is there anyway to recreate that curvature surgically or by adding fillers? DR reduced the bump on the bridge and my tip came in a little, could this be causing the change on the angle?

Regaining nasolabial angle after rhinoplasty

+1

Once the depressor septi muscle has been removed or resected it will not come back or get any stronger with time. Fillers can be added in this area. Additionally, small cartilage grafts can be inserted in this area, harvested from the internal portion of the nose.

See an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon.

+1

There are many reasons for this result. After 10 months it probably is permanent now. Both fillers and minor surgery can fix the problem. See an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon to give you the pros and cons of each.

Nasolabial angle can be changed.

+1

Based on your description, and without being able to actually examine you or your pictures, it sounds like the actual angle is okay. That is, the angle where the columella meets the lip. What has changed, it sounds like, is the shape of the area.

The surgeon divided the muscles so that the tip wouldn't drop. One of the side effects is that the upper lip may drop a little and there might be some less tooth show.

The question to ask yourself is if the changes you are describing are detracting from the appearance of the nose. Is it really affecting the appearance?

Every surgery has its risks and benefits. It is possible to make some changes so that the curvature is more like it was preoperatively. However, you must ask yourself if the potential risks of surgery, or even an injection, is really worth improving that curvature. Will it significantly improve the appearance of the nose?

If not, then I would recommend you leave everything alone. However, if it is really making your appearance worse, then you should schedule a consultation with your surgeon so you can discuss the options.

John Diaz, MD

Fillers to correct rhinoplasty discrepencies

+1

Fillers are a great way to correct the problem that you're having. Although, I would allow at least 1 year before doing anything because the muscle may come back. With a fine cosmetic result from a rhinoplasty, the swelling may still last for one year. So, if swelling is the problem, I would recommend waiting 1 year before having any other procedures done.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Recreating an Acute Nasolabial Angle

+1

You can drop the tip down by rhinoplatsy or you can push up the upper lip with a filler.

However the best thing is to wait. With time the nasolabial angle will only become more acute (shorter) and similar to what you had before.

Remember an obtuse (bigger) nasolabial angle is sign of a younger looking nose.

Regards

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Injectable fillers may be used to change the nose-lip angle.

+1

It seems like you'd like to fill the area where the columella connects with the upper lip so there is more of a curved appearance to this area. I have used Injectable Fillers in this area with good results. Feel free to post / email me frontal and profile photos, and I'll be happy to share my thoughts.

This would have no effect on the exposure of your upper teeth when you smile.

I've attached a link to my Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty photos for your perusal.

I hope this helps and best regards.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty, Will Fillers Help With Nasolabial Angle?

+1

Hi L,

You have asked a complex question, probably best answered by your rhinoplasty surgeon. Photos would be helpful, frontal, side profile, and 3/4 view.

Usually the detached muscles reattach, but I doubt that there will be much improvement if it has been 10 months since your surgery. The curvature of your columella can be recreated permanently with a cartilage graft, but that would involve revision surgery.

The injection of fillers is temporary and tricky. You can probably get improvement with fillers, but it should be done gradually to avoid complications.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD