Radiesse Injected Too Superficially Under Eye Can Lithotripsy Break This Up?

In March a BC plastic surgeon in BH placed radiesse superfically in my tear troughs. s/p 2-3x attempts to break it up with lidocaine & no improvement and an attempt to curet it out of a small incision which healed without scarring. In any case, on one side it has clumped & actually looks like a noodle right under my skin in the MIDDLE of my tear trough. A dermatologist referred me to Dr Massry. I just wondered if anyone has ever tried lithotripsy as we use to break up calcium kidney stones for this?

Reversing Radiesse

+2

While creative, I would not use lithotripsy to dissolve Radiesse around the eye. Kidney stones are made of calcium oxalate (solid) and not calcium hydroxyapatite (gel). These are two totally different compounds. In addition, lithotripsy uses sound waves to create strong vibrations (shock waves) that break the stones into tiny pieces that can be passed in your urine. I don't think Radiesse would respond well to lithotripsy because it is similar density to the surrounding tissue. Even if it did, the physician would have no control over where the particles traveled. By the eye, this would not be safe. While I applaud your ability to think outside the box, your best bet is time or manually removing the material if it is readily accessible.

Chesterfield Dermatologic Surgeon

Radiesse

+2

review of the literature shows no good method to resolve or dissolve radiesse. hope that within one year the radiesse will disappear. it most probably will not in the tear trough. Literature search, shows most will resort to direct excision if possible. Lithotripsy is an interesting idea, but will be concerned about the effect near the globe. Research this before doing something never been done before. Is the Radiesse really under the skin or under the muscle or both. It is most of the time also within the muscle fibers. Dr. Malouf's idea is an interesting idea and is very  non invasive. Sometime the use of other fillers like fat may cover the deformity.

Radiesse Injected Too Superficially Under Eye Can Lithotripsy Break This

+2

That is actually a great thought although I am not sure it would work.

i actually published an article in ORBIT

showing our success in treating this problem with heated saline injections followed by infrared laser treatments

best

dr malouf

Peter Malouf, DO
Dallas Dermatologist

Radiesse reversal

+1

I would recommend an additional excision or waiting it out. The potential consequences from a possible fix is not worth it. Best of luck.

George T. Boris, MD, FRCS, FACS

Radiesse Injected Superficially Into Eyelids

+1

Radiesse creates an inflammatory reaction in the area injected which causes the deposition of collagen (scar).  This collagen deposition results in a volume increase in the injected area.  As described on the company website, Radiesse is a volumizing filler best used to treat smile lines (nasolabial folds), marionette lines, corners of the mouth, chin wrinkles, and the pre-jowl area.  Radiesse has also been used in the temporal area and to improve hollow cheeks with good results.  Radiesse has produced some unfavorable results in delicate areas such as the the lip and eyelid areas so these areas are best avoided.  There is no specific dissolving agent for Radiesse.  It may dissolve with time or surgical excision may be required.

Philip E. Fleming, MD

+1

I'm sorry for your experience...I am not aware of a treatment that can "erase" Radiesse, as can essentially be done for hyaluronic acid with hyaluronidase (not always the case, of course...)  I would suggest waiting it out.  It should dissipate over a period of several months to a year and, while unpleasant, I'm concerned that more aggressive methods may cause more problems.  Sorry...

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

No Lithortripsy

+1

Don't recommend lithotripsy as it could damage your globe and ultimately your vision - you have to live with this until it heals/resorbs or is excised.

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

Radiesse under the eyes

+1

Radiesse should not be injected under the eyes or lips. Radieese is a great filler to add volume to the cheeks. Radiesse usually lasts for up a year and there are no dissolving agents.

#Radiesse in tear troughs

+1

I personally do not use Radiesse under the eyes (ever) for the exact same adverse outcome that youre experiencing. it takes a very long time for this to get better on its own. you best bet is to see Dr Massry. not only he is amazing, he is perhaps the only doctor I know in LA who can help you. good luck!

Misbah Khan, MD

Radiesse Should Never Be Injected in the Lower Eyelid Hollow

+1

Hi K8,

I would not advise lithotripsy in the delicate area under your eye.  Radiesse should never be injected superficially or even deep in the lower lid hollow.  I am sorry that you have been exposed to this.  I would treat you by making small needle holes with an 18 gauge needle and then carefully expressing Radiesse out.  Dr. Massry is excellent, you will be in great hands.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD