Can my 15 Yr Old Get a Breast Reduction She is Size 34h

She is 5'5 and 156 lbs her back hurts and her bras leave terrible painful marks on her shoulders and her breasts are so heavy they hurt her back she has not been able to even have a normal childhood..I took her to the dr and they all said she is too young and thry wont perform surgery until she is 18 but she cant wait that long she is miserable and deserves to have a life the breats are so large they look deformed on her slim body pls help!

Alternative new technique to eliminate vertical scars of reduction

+2

Breast reductions can be done on women as young as 15 with parental consent.  The insurance company may or may not authorize it or you can pay for it yourself.  There is a new technique called The Ultimate Breast Reduction.  This technique transfers the weight of the breast to the underlying muscle eliminating back, shoulder and neck pain and avoids the ugly vertical scar of the boat anchor shaped incisions of the Wise pattern.  This technique preserves sensation and allows breast feeding, unlike the traditional technique.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

+2

Sounds like your child has virginal hypertrophy of the breasts. Obtain a pedriatic / endocrine clearance in writing than seek a boarded Ps in your city for surgery. 

Breast Reduction for 15 year old

+2

Did you see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon? It is possible for her to have surgery at that age with parental consent. You need to be aware though if she hasn't finished developing, she may need another reduction in a few years. If you are hoping to have insurance cover the procedure, have your surgeon see if it is possible to get pre-authorization, each insurance company has their own requirements.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Adolescent breast reduction

+2
I can imagine what you and your daughter are going through. Several years ago, the insurance companies changed their criteria and they no longer pay for reductions prior to age 18. They also have restrictive requirements mandating conservative medical management, with documentation, for between 3-6 months, back x-rays, orthopedic workup, etc. Now is a good time to start on this process. Of course, your daughter could have surgery earlier under these circumstances but on a fee for service basis.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Reductions at 17

+1

Reductions can be done at 15 with parental consent, and the proper medical clearances. Insurance coverage is a hit or miss depending on the carrier.  Breast reductions are the most gratifying operations because years of neck, back and shoulder pain are gone within days.  The final size result depends on your starting size. If you start larger then you will likely end larger. It is not possible to choose a size with any real accuracy. The main reason is that the procedure removes breast tissue but leaves enough tissue to preserve the blood supply to the nipple and areola. Thus more tissue needs to be left behind to ensure nipple viability. The nipple and areola is constantly being accessed during the operation.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Teenagers are sometimes good candidate for breast reduction.

+1

Any operation on a teenager that changes their body must be done with great care and consideration. Because a breast reduction is most often a functional operation it can be a proper procedure for a teenager.

Minors getting reductions

+1

occur frequently when the symptoms and physical findings support the diagnosis AND the patient is willing to accept all of the risks of surgery including inability to breastfeed, loss of sensation, scarring, and the possibility of continued growth following surgery.  It would be prudent to see your pediatrician to ensure this is not simply a chance occurrence before having surgery.  Most board certified plastic surgeons would have no problem with doing this procedure as long as the right reasons were there.

Curtis Wong, MD

Breast Reduction at 15?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about the physical and psychosocial problems your daughter's disproportionately large breasts are causing her. 
It is probable that you are dealing with juvenile breast hypertrophy along with the physical and psychosocial consequences of this diagnosis. In other words, the breasts are too large for your frame causing  both physical and psychological distress.

In my practice, timing of breast reduction surgery is determined on a case-by-case basis. It is not too early to do your homework and learn as much as possible  about  breast reduction surgery and the potential risks and complications associated with  the procedure.   I am glad she has her support as she does her homework.

As she learns about breast reduction surgery, make sure she reads about the potential risk/complications associated with the procedure. You may find the attached link helpful in this regard.  For example, unsatisfactory scarring is  one of the potential complications. Make sure she also understand that further surgery may be necessary in the future (for example if the breasts were to grow in size again).

On the other hand, breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform and I think that for the right teenager (enough symptoms) it may be an excellent option (regardless of the age).

Sometimes breast  reduction surgery is covered through health insurance. The best way to obtain insurance coverage for breast reduction surgery involves some “hoops” to jump through. The more documentation you have (for example, from your primary care doctor, physical therapist, chiropractor etc.) the better when it comes to obtaining insurance “authorization” for the procedure.
This documentation and letter/pictures from your plastic surgeon will help you obtain authorization.
 When the time is right,  seek consultation with well-trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Breast reduction at 15

+1

A breast reduction is possible for a 15 year old, but it is best if she has stopped growing becauase there is a risk her breasts may grow some more.