Nasal Valve Collapse Surgery Failed?

21 year old male.i had a septoplasty/turbinate reduction/ nasal valve surgery done last year. everything turned out well except the nasal valve issue, it still collapses when i breathe in, especially on the left side. my surgeon used the suture techinique where he wraps it around the bone or something to keep it from collapsing. my nose seemed fine my whole life until sinus infection came on and everything changed. what options do i have at this point. i refuse to believe nothing can be done.

Nasal Valve Collapse Surgery Failed?

+1

In my opinion there are two issues that are going on with your nose post surgery, contributing to the nasal obstruction and posible congestion. The first is the sinusitis, which needs to be evaluated or treated. SInusitis can cloud nasal valve evaluations in my opinion, and I usually get a CT scan to evaluate the sinuses in patients with concurrent diease.

The second issue with the valve is the external collapse you are experiencing. Here, the question is whether there is an external valvular problem. There is a test called a cottle test one can do to evaluate this issue, and if you are still positive, you may need something different to hold open the external valve that is collapsing when you breathe in. Alternatively, sometimes the post obstruction is re-swelling of the turbinates expecially during allergy season. Here, treating this issue can help reverse continued obstruction.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Albuquerque Facial Plastic Surgeon