Possible Nasal Valve Collapse and Breathing Difficulties After Rhinoplasty/septoplasty/osteotomy? (photo)

I am 5 1/2 post op. Having breathing difficulties through both nostrils. While breathing through right nostril changes during the day (sometimes good sometimes bad), it is constantly bad through the left one especially when I inhale. I am afraid I may have nasal valve collapse as there the “dent” on the left tends to squish in when I deep-breath. I don’t know if the pictures show all.

Nasal valve collapse.

+2

It Appears that you do have depression in the valve area which can be corrected with cartilage grafts to that area. However it is too soon to say since it takes 6-12 months for the swelling to go down. 

Possible Nasal Valve Collapse and Breathing Difficulties After Rhinoplasty/septoplasty/osteotomy?

+2

I think your assessment of the situation is probably correct based upon the pictures and your description.  I would have to examine you to be more certain. 

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/Rhinoplasty.php

Valve collapse and breathing problems after rhinoplasty

+1

There can be internal nasal swelling at this stage still contributing to nasal blockage, but I do see the area on the left where there is some narrowing.

Your nose will continue to heal and hopefully as the internal swelling improves your breathing will also improve. If you have persistent problems you may benefit from a spreader graft to open up that narrowed area.

You can read more about spreader grafts at my web reference link below.

Web reference: http://www.rhinoplastyinseattle.com/functional-rhinoplasty/spreader-grafts

Nasal airway obstruction post op

+1

Your nasal airway obstruction is more likely due to swelling than any functional problem.  Given more time your problem will be more likely to improve.

Nasal Valve Collapse after Septorhinoplasty

+1

Sorry to hear about your breathing difficulties after your nasal surgery. Based on your description and photos it does appear that the contour depression on the left side of your nose is contributing to your poor nasal airflow. This deformity can be improved. But, unfortunately it involves another surgery. A spreader cartilage graft in the area can help with the airflow, as well as improve the appearance of your "dent." Thank you for sharing your photos and concerns. Best wishes.

Best Treatment for Nasal Obstruction Following Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi NG,   Best to discuss your concerns with your rhinoplasty surgeon.  Examination inside your nose will reveal the cause for your nasal obstruction.  We often will treat patients such as yourself with Somnoplasty (radio-frequency volumetric tissue reduction) if the inferior nasal turbinates are reactive.  It sounds as if that is the case for your right turbinate.  The treatment is non-invasive and performed in the office with no downtime other than a stuffy  nose for a few days.   Good luck and be well.   Dr. P