Do I Need Nasal Tip Refinement/reduction, Alar Base Reduction or Both in Order to Narrow my Nostril Width? (photo)

I would like my nostrils to be narrowed significantly, however it appears that if i only narrowed my nostrils the nasal tip would look disproportionate. It seems that my nostril width may be related to the width of my tip?So i'm assuming I will need both or one surgeries? I'm hoping that if I narrow or refine my nasal tip alone, that it would result in my nostrils narrowing as well? Is that possible? or will i need to have surgery on the nostrils as well? Around what price will I be looking at?

Tip refinement and alar platy

+1

A tip refinement  will only narrow the cartilages at the domes or at the top of the tip. An alar-plasty with simply narrow the base of the nostrils. In order to refine both components of the nose, both procedures will be required to keep the nose within balance

Nasal narrowing

+1

You are correct in thinking that you need the tip and the base reduced.  You probably need a strut graft to give support to the nasal tip.  Please seek out the advice of a board-certified Facial Plastic Surgeon.  Best wishes.

David Alessi, MD

Nasal Tip and Alar Base Reduction

+1

PYou are correct; you should narrow both the nasal tip and alar base to have a natural proportional result. Make sure you have an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon do your work; you also want to decrease not increase the retraction of the nostril rims..  

Do I Need Nasal Tip Refinement or Narrow my Nostrils? (photo)

+1

The human eye naturally sees objects in relationship to their surroundings.  An object appears small if everything around it is larger.  The same object will seem large if everything around it is smaller.  If your nostrils alone are narrowed, the tip of your nose will seem to have enlarged.  To maintain aesthetic proportions, generally, when nostrils are narrowed, tip should also be diminished in size or definition improved to create the appearance that it is smaller.  Tip projection and relationship to the top of your nose must also be considered.  This is why patients often present to the surgeon requesting a single change and the surgeon will suggest additional changes to avoid a disproportion that did not exist before surgery.

Steve Laverson, MD

Do I Need Nasal Tip Refinement/reduction, Alar Base Reduction or Both in Order to Narrow my Nostril Width?

+1

The tip will need to be reduced as well as the alar base to achieve balance.  This may be $5000 at the low end.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Narrowing the Nostril Width

+1

I believe you will need to have both a tip plasty with suture reshaping of your lower lateral cartilages and an alar base reduction in order to achieve the desired look. Either of the procedures on their own will not modify the aspects of your nose that you want changed.

Best of luck.

Andres Gantous, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Probably have short and upward rotated lower lateral cartilages

+1

Thank you for the question and the photos.  I suspect that you have short and upward (cephalic) rotated lower lateral cartilages (cartilages that make up the nostrils).  A little challenging to correct sometimes and in your case may require rotating them in proper position, adding cartilage, and maybe a Weir resection.  I would expect to pay 8-10K for these combination of procedures.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Tip refinement and alar base narrowing.

+1

Tip refinement and alar base narrowing is what u need for a more balanced and refined nose. 

Rhinoplasty for a narrow nose

+1

Dear dgross91,

1. A nose like yours is not to be done by an inexperienced surgeon because it is very easy to get an operated look for someone like you
  2. The nose is a 3 dimensional structure and in order to get a natural looking result, you should have work on the tip and the nostrils
  3. The key with you will be bringing the edge of the nostril down (through tip work) and narrowing the width of the nostrils (through conservative excisions)
  4. Please see a surgeon who performs rhinoplasties on a regular basis who can address your concerns and get you a result you will love

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD