Has Nasal Tip Refinement Been a Failure?

I had septorhinoplasty 3 months ago mainly to refine my tip. After the cast was removed, the tip was still rather bulbous/swollen but I did notice very subtle improvements. However I'm concerned to find that my nose has not changed AT ALL since the cast was removed. The tip is still boxy and feels hard. He told me that most of the swelling decreases within the first few months. I'm starting to lose hope that the width of the tip is ever going to decrease significantly.

Patience is required

Thank you for your question!

It is understandable that you are concerned. Changes after rhinoplasties vary with every patient and what you are experiencing is normal especially that swelling takes time to subside as it masks the results of your surgery.

It is important to keep in mind that it is early to pass a judgment. Usually, a year is required before formulating how your nose will be, but longer with a thick skin. Even then, your nose will keep shaping itself to complement your face for better results in the years to come.

My best recommendation at the moment is to be patient, allow nature to take its course and edema subsides for better results. There is no doubt that once the swelling resolves, more definition and shape will be achieved and you should be happier with the results.

Also, it is important that you keep communicating with your surgeon and work as a team together to achieve the best results possible.

Congratulations on your surgery and remain positive!

Ali Sajjadian, MD FACS