Nasal Tip Reduction Technique?

I visited a plastic surgeon who refused to alter my nasal tip, but offered to do a alar base reduction and a cartilage graft above my septum. Most of my unhappiness with my nose is that it spreads across my face and drops down when I.smile. Additionally the lower third of my nose has no definition. Is it true that I shouldn't have my nasal tip narrowed?

Nasal Tip Reduction

+1

It sounds like the surgeon consulted wanted to narrow the nasal base and improve definition with cartilage grafts above your septum. It does not make sense that the surgeon did not want to do the same with your tip. Followup with that surgeon and if necessary get a second opinion.

Rhinoplasty is a very personal issue for both surgeon and patient

+1

It is not uncommon to see a number of rhinoplasty experts and get very different opinions on what works besf for your nose. If you think you need more surgery than your doctor suggests, either the explanation wasn't detailed enough for you or you might consider a second opinion. It's important for patient and doctor to be on the same page.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

It depends

+1

Rhinoplasty lies somewhere between art and science.  There are some conventional rules that should be followed to avoid bad outcomes.  That said, there are some areas that are up for interpretation and judgement by a surgeon.  You should have computer imaging performed of your clinical photographs in order to ensure that your vision of your outcome is aligned with your surgeon's.  A second opinion by an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon should be helpful to further determine the best course of action.  Without examining you, it would be impossible to give you any specific advice.

Colin Pero, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon