Nasal Tip Healing?

In December 2012 I had an open Rhinoplasty. How long before all of the swelling subsides? Also, most of the time I can see part of my nostrils but if I massage my nose or wear nasal tape across the tip, the tip cartilage will move down and covers more of my nostrils. This lasts, for the most part, temporarily. Will the cartilage eventually fall into place on the lower part of my nose and cover more of my nostrils or will my nose stay slightly elevated?

Needs a full year

+1

Hello. At five months you are far from your final result. It is common for patients to be worried about the outcome of rhinoplasty surgery early on but many of these concerns can be attributed to swelling. Over the next year you will see many improvements in the appearance of your nose.

Jaime Perez, MD
Rhinoplasty Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Nasal Tip Healing?

+1

The nose takes a year to subside after a rhinoplasty. It will swell and decrease intermittently during that time.  Please be patient and follow up with your plastic surgeon.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Resolution of Nasal Tip Swelling After Rhinoplasty Will Take One Year

+1

You have a ways to go until all the tip swelling goes down, in many cases as long as a year. The tip cartilages will not fall down but the skin will retract a bit. Thus it is more likely that the nose will stay slightly elevated than the 'cartilages eventually falling into place'.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Nasal tip swelling

+1

The swelling after a rhinoplasty can take up to one year, depending on your skin thickness. I would have your nose examined by the surgeon to make sure that what you are seeing is swelling or something else.

Andres Bustillo, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal Tip Healing?

+1

you must wait until after one year to see the final results of the surgery, the inflammatory process takes a long time to disappear mainly at the level of the nasal tip, what you see now can change a lot over a period of six months when the swelling down

Jose Luis Acosta Collado, MD

Nasal Tip Healing?

+1

The tip swelling is always the last part to resolve, and this can take at least a year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Nasal tip swelling

+1

Nasal tip swelling will take up to a year to settle down. Be patient and give it more time to settle down. Good luck.

Nasal Tip Swelling

+1

Nasal tips can take up to a year to heal.  Sounds like you are going in the right direction.  Follow your surgeon's post op instructions for your best result.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Normal progress after nasal surgery

+1

It sounds like you are progressing normally From your nasal surgery. The tape is probably redistributing some of the edema  fluid at least on a temporary basis.  Given more time you'll probably do just fine.  On your way to a ni

Nasal Tip Healing

+1

Swelling in the tip takes longer to resolve than any other part of the nose, frequently a year or longer. It is unlikely that tip rotation will decrease further now that you are 8 months post-op but time will tell.