Can Nasal Tip Graft Be Removed Under Local Anesthesia?

I had an open rhinoplasty a year ago to slim my nose and my doctor decided to also add a strut and tip graft (taken from septum) that we never discussed and I never agreed to. Now my nose has too much projection, is too long, and has a point I never asked for. I want this graft and strut removed. Is this possible? Can this be done under local anesthesia? Does it have to be an open procedure again? Is this a simple procedure, or very complicated? Thank you.

Tip Graft Removed under local Anesthesia

+1

It is possible depending on where the graft was sutured or if permanet sutures were used

Removing a nasal tip graft under local anesthesia

+1

Removal of a tip and strut graft is possible, but it may be a complicated procedure. It is possible to do this with local anesthesia, but I would recommend using general for the overall comfort of the patient.  The procedure would need to be open, and depending on your individual circumstances, additional work may be necessary to properly balance the nose and make sure there is adequate structural support.  It is difficult to tell what would be necessary without performing an exam and learning more about the status of your nose prior to your initial rhinoplasty. Thanks and I hope this helps!

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Anesthesia for tip reconstruction

+1

Your nasal tip can be reconstructed, but definitely not under local anesthesia. This is not a quick removal. A revisional rhinoplasty will be required to create the nose you desire. General anesthesia is used during a rhinoplasty.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Removal of nasal tip grafts.

+1

Nasal tip grafts can be removed under local anesthesia using a simple closed approach.  The final outcome, hwoever, may not be so easy to predict.

Mario J. Imola, MD, DDS, FRCSC.

Mario J. Imola, MD, DDS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Removal of Tip Graft under Local Anesthesia

+1

I don't know if this would be the best procedure for you but your tip graft can be removed under local anesthesia. An experienced revision specialist can explain alternatives to you.

Tip revision under local anesthesia

+1

Jessica, while it is possible to remove a tip graft and/or strut under local anesthesia, I am not sure if this would be an optimal option. Your tip may require additional restructuring once the grafts are removed or modified, which may be difficult to do with no sedation or general anesthesia on board. An open rhinoplasty procedure would be required, especcially considering the fact that your original surgery was through the open approach. I would not advise you to compromise your revision rhinoplasty results by trying to cut corners.  Good luck.

Alexander Ovchinsky, MD

+1

Hi Jessica,

In order to remove a strut and shield graft you will probably need to have a oen rhinoplasty. This can be done under local anastheisa with mild sedation. What you probably would need is a reduction of the strut and shield graft to reduce your overprojection. Romoing the grafts entirely is not a good idea.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Revision Rhinoplasty to remove a tip-graft may require an open approach and general anesthetic.

+1

I read your concerns:

Without a photo, it's impossible to provide specific advice regarding your nose. In general, if someone has a tip graft that requires modification, this may be considered a high-complexity procedure, and I perform nearly all cases like this with general anesthetic since further modifications may be necessary after the tip graft is removed.

Hope this helps you.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon