Nasal Surgery and Large Lump After Cast Removal? (photo)

I fractured my nose and underwent open nasal repair to straighten nose and to correct deviated septum. My nose looks more deformed now. Doctor said it is swelling, but this does not look like swelling. How can this be fixed? My nose looks worse than when it was broken initially. Thanks.

Nasal Surgery and Large Lump After Cast Removal?

+1

This early after rhinoplasty, it is premature to be concerned about the final result.  Swelling is distorting the result.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Bump on the nose after surgery

+1

Dear SeeCo,

• It is very common to have swelling after surgery causing a bump to form
  • This is usually temporary and should improve over time
  • Just be a little patient and things should start looking better

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Post op nasal surgery

+1

Without a side view it is difficult to see your issue.  Anyway you are too early after treatment to make a judgement.   It takes months for swelling to resolve.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Post op rhinoplasty

+1

You only show a front on view of your nose which to me looks just fine, although there is some obvious swelling which make it look a little wide. That swelling will resolve with time. I really need to see a side few to evaluate the height of the nasal bridge.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Appearance of the nose after cast removal

+1

I am not seeing a lump on this picture and it may be helpful to post a side profile picture. I would agree at this point with your surgeon that there is a lot of swelling. The picture you provided looks like you just had your cast removed. I know that it is very hard to be patient and to be able to see how your nose may look in a few weeks. I find my patients are quite distressed at this point in the healing process because you see a large amorphous nose where you didn't see before. As previous replies have stated, your nose has a few weeks to months of additional healing. You will see your nose become more defined as the swelling across your bridge and middle third goes away.

Kristina Tansavatdi, MD

+1

I agree with Dr. Janjua. This does appear to be a very early post-surgery photo. Your swelling, depending upon the surgical approach, typically improves significantly over the next few weeks to months. It is difficult to be patient during this period but swelling usually improves significantly in the early healing period. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Crooked Nose

+1

The photograph shows significant swelling. You need to give it at least 3 more weeks before you make a judgement. Also, remember even the best hands the nose can be mildly crooked after a surgery. You can always get it revised down the road if you are unhappy but be very realistic about trying to get a perfectly straight nose. Regards
Dr. J
Disclaimer: This answer is not intended to give a medical opinion and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon