Nasal Silicone Implant Removal Incision and Scar?

I am 4 hours post-op from a nasal silicone implant removal due to extrusion and infection. Had the L-shaped implant surgery done in Asia and after 5 years, it started to migrate and extrude to my tip. The bump at the tip of my nose got bigger and more painful. When my surgeon saw me today pre-op, she said she might just remove the implant fromt the front tip instead of a closed procedure. I have an open incision on the tip of my nose for drainage. Will my tip heal with a raised scar?

Healing with a raised scar after silastic L - strut removal

+3

This is one of the unfortunate (yet common) complications of using a silastic L shaped implant in the nose. It's very popular in Asia, but many surgeons in the US have shied away from artificial materials for augmentation. I prefer rib cartilage when I need a lot of material for augmentation and other cartilage grafts.

Extrusion of the implant directly through the soft tissue skin envelope of the nose is unfortunate. It damages the skin in that area. Now that the implant is out, I would worry less about a raised scar than a scar that is depressed. The raised portion of your skin was likely due to inflammation, infection, or the implant itself impinging on the skin. Now that the implant is out, a depressed scar is more likely to result. Good luck to you.

mike kim, md

Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scar after Removal of L-shaped Silicone Nasal Implant

+2

This is the most severe complications following the placement of an L-shaped silicone nasal implant. This is the reason I've never used this implant. Hopefully your wound in the tip skin will heal with minimal scarring but it is impossible to predict the final appearance 4 hours after the operation. A scar revision may be necessary.

Nasal implant removal

+1

It is difficult to tell how you will heal without knowing more about your surgeon's removal technique and the nature of your procedure.  And it is especially difficult to come to any conclusions 4 hours after your surgery.  In general, L-shaped silicon implants may result in:

1) An unnatural appearance with a nasal tip that appears "pointy."
2) Infection
3) Asymmetry
4) Rejection by the body

If you wish to have a revision down the road, I would recommend using your own natural cartilage and tissue to improve the appearance of the nose. As of now, it would be best to speak with your surgeon about any of your concerns, and ask how you may minimize the appearance of the scar.  If necessary, it would be possible to improve the appearance of the scar with scar gel and/or laser treatments. Thanks and I hope this helps!

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal scarring from implant extrusion

+1

With the implant removed, your nose should improve over time but it is likely you will need another augmentation type of procedure. However, in the patients where I have had to remove an implant, the scar typically heals uneventfully especially if you do not have a history of keloids. Good luck.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

L - Shaped Nasal Implants

+1

Hi,

L-shaped nasal implants can extrude through the skin if they are not placed properly. Its difficult to day whether you will have a scar or not. The important thing is that the implant is out and your nose can heal now.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS