Do I Have Nasal Septum Deviation? If I Do, Should I Have Surgery to Fix It?

My right nostril bleeds very often, sometimes for no apparent reason at all. My nose is very slightly turned to the right (almost unnoticeable). My mom had nasal septum deviation. When I exhale through my nose much more air comes out of the right nostril than the left one, and if I block the right nostril when I inhale it's like my left nostril is congested, same thing when I exhale. I never broke my nose (at least not that I know). I think that's it. Thank you very much.

Septal deviation

I would have to examine your nose to determine the cause of your nasal airway problem and bleeding.  It may indeed be due to a septal deviation but other things such as enlarged turbinates and chronic allergy may lead to similar symptoms.  See a board certified surgeon for an evaluation.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

5673 Peachtree Dunwoody Rd NE
Atlanta, GA 30342-5029

How to tell if you have a septal deviation

Because a septal deviation is a fixed obstruction, it will always be present.  Turbinate obstruction will vary throughout the day, switching from side to side.  With nasal valve obstruction, you will see the outside of the nose collapse in when you breathe.  Of course, you can have these things as an isolated problem or together.

The best place to start is with someone that specializes in functional nasal surgery, not necessarily cosmetic.  The two are different.  They can quickly determine the best solution to your problem and offer good solutions.

Joseph Campanelli, MD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

7900 International Drive
Bloomington, MN 55425

Bleeding and nasal airway obstruction

Bleeding is usually caused by a site of chronic dryness and irritation.  This can be caused by a deviation of the septum which leads to abnormal airflow patterns.  This can also account for poor air movement through one side of your nose.

See a board certified plastic surgeon for an examination.  He/she may want to see a CT scan to fully evaluate the architecture of the nasal airway.  In some cases the turbinate bones also are involved with nasal obstruction.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

1208 East Kennedy Blvd
Tampa, FL 33602

Deviated septum.

You may have  deviated septum. This is determined by physical examination typically by an Otolaryngologist Head and Neck surgeon.  Surgery is recommened only in situations where a diagnosis of deviated septum is confirmed and patient has substantial related symptoms.

Philip Solomon, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

57 Centre Street
Thornhill, ON L4J 1G2

Possible Septal Deviation

It is difficult to tell over the Internet whether or not you do in fact have a deviated septum. The only way to evaluate your candidacy for a septoplasty to correct a deviated septum would be to consult a Board Certified doctor and receive a professional opinion in person. If you do indeed have a deviated septum, it is highly recommended that you have it corrected as this will facilitate and ease proper breathing. 

David O. Volpi, MD
New York Otolaryngologist

262 Central Park West
New York, NY 10024

Possible Deviated Septum

A deviated nasal septum may have many possible signs and symptoms. The most common symptom is nasal obstruction or stuffy nasal breathing. Other signs include nosebleeds, congestion, sinusitis, snoring, headache and mouth breathing.

There are a number of medical and surgical treatments that can aid this concern. These include antihistamines, decongestants, topical nasal steroid sprays, topical nasal antihistamine sprays, allergy shots in some patients and, finally, surgery for those who fail medical treatment or who do not want to use medications for many years.

Best of luck to you.

Dr. Clevens

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

707 W Eau Gallie Blvd
Melbourne, FL 32935

Deviated nasal septum and surgery

An evaluation by an ENT physician will determine if your breathing issues are due to a deviated septum and whether or not surgery is an option for you. 

1101 Madison St
Seattle, WA 98104

Septoplasty is performed to reduce an airway obstruction from deviated cartilage/bone of the septum.  An examination, of the inside of your nose and septum would be required along with a history of your nasal breathing in order to determine if Septoplasty is indicated.  Be sure that your Rhinoplasty Surgeon understands and follows the proper aesthetics of facial (and nasal) beauty.

8500 Wilshire Blvd
Beverly Hills, CA 90211