Nasal Scarring, Breathing Problems, Snoring; Is Nose Surgery the Answer?

When I was 12 I broke my nose and had surgery to repair it. I am now 48 and having trouble sleeping (my husband tells me I snore...a lot...and wonders if I have sleep apnea). An ENT I went to told me there was significant scarring and I might be affecting my breathing. I don't really notice anything, except, like I said, while sleeping. Will "reaming out" my nasal passage, as the doctor suggested, possible help with my nighttime breathing?

Surgery to Correct Scarring, Breathing Problems, Snoring

+1

If you ENT told you that you have nasal scarring surgery would help your breathing obstruction. There are also tests to determine if you have sleep apnea. After the correct diagnosis is made treatment recommendations can be evaluated.

Damage from a Broken Nose Can Effect Your Nighttime Breathing

+1

There are many reasons that can affect your breathing while sleep.  You would need a full examination to ensure that the nose is the most likely cause.

If the nose was the reason for your breathing problems, then correcting the damage would improve your breathing.  Most likely, the fracture caused the septum, the cartilage that separates the right and left nasal passageway, to deviate to either the right, left or both sides to clog to nasal passageway.  Correcting the deviation of your septum can significantly improve your breathing.

Not only have I preformed this procedure successfully on many patients, I recently had my deviated septum correct.  I am very please with my result.  I wrote a blog about my experience that you might helpful.  I have attached a link if interested.  

Web reference: http://www.carolinafacialplasticsurgery.com/yesterday-i-had-a-septoplasty-for-nasal-airwary-obstruction/

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon