Nasal Reconstruction-is There Any Alternatives? (photo)

a plastic surgeon resected an inordinate amount of cartilage from my septum (collapsing). I was told to see Dr. Dean Toriumi in Chicago who specializes in grafting cartilage from the rib. I’m 60 years old can they even use my rib cartilage. (Calcified) I noticed when I used a nasals strip in the very front of my nose my breathing improved dramatically. Is there less radical steps that can be taken to improve my breathing without re-constructing the entire nasal cavity?

Alternatives to Nasal Reconstruction

+1

Unfortunately surgery is the only way to restore your appearance and nasal function. Cartilage grafts are necessary and can be harvested from your ears or the ribs. However, over the past 35 years I've rarely needed rib cartilage.

Rib cartilage is not always necessary for nasal reconstruction

+1

There are a number of sources for cartilage grafts in revision rhinoplasty. My first choice is septum. Next is ear cartilage then rib. Sometimes if I need a lot or very strong cartilage we may go right to rib cartilage.
We also find that a collapsed nose externally often heralds functional problems as well. Fixing one will address the other. Rhinoplasty and revision rhinoplasty is like the Modernist Architectural dictum: Form follows function.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Nasal obstruction surgery

+1

There are many anatomical issues inside the nose that can cause nasal obstruction which include valve collapse, vestibular stenosis, a deviated septum, turbinate hypertrophy, and allergies. Its best to start off with medical management of nasal obstruction which includes cortisone nasal sprays, antihistamines, and decongestants. If you have failed medical therapy, consideration for spreader grafts, repairing a deviated septum,  and turbinate reduction surgery.