Nasal Implant Vs Using Our Own Tissue to Build Up the Nose?

What is the difference between having a nasal implant placed and using our own tissue for nose augmentation in terms of cost , result , time for recovery , pros and cons of both procedures?

Nasal Implant vs. Autologous Tissue in Rhinoplasty

+2

The optimal management of a dorsal deformity with both primary and secondary is to do it with “autologous tissue”, preferentially the patient’s rib or septum. Implant tissue has a tendency to migrate, get infected, and become displaced over time. They do not age well over time in patients long-term.

Nasal implant versus patient's own tissue for rhinoplasty

+2

Nasal implants are used primarily when there is simply not enough cartilage inside the nose to augment the dorsum. This is most common in Asian rhinoplasty patients when there  is simply not enough cartilage in the nose to adequately build up the bridge line. The implants are well accepted in the nose, are easy to  insert and remove if ever needed. Recovery time for an implant versus patient's own tissue is usually about the same. We do not  recommend rib grafts do to the tendency to warp and ossification which happens down the road in the healing process. The cost of rhinoplasty in our practice at the same whether or not we used patient's own tissues or synthetic implant.

Artificial nasal implants versus native tissue for rhinoplasty.

+2

The choice of attaches tissue versus a prosthetic implant is somewhat complicated. Pathologist tissue has the disadvantage of requiring a donor side as well as restrictions on the amount of tissue available. Prosthetic implants require no donor site but have a slightly higher risk for wound issues. You should feel free to discuss this with your surgeon.

Nasal Implants

+2

I strongly advise against using nasal implants to build up the height of the nose but recommend using your own tissue as there is less likelihood of postoperative problems such as rejection, infection, migration of the implant.  Depending on what results you seek, I think your own tissue leads to a more natural appearing result.   Cost will be higher as it involves more time in the operating room to harvest and prepare your tissue to create the desired result.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can help you achieve the results you seek.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Nasal Implant vs Own Tissue

+2

This is a very controversial issue.  The truth is that there are generally two camps and doctors usually tend to stick to their side.  Having used both I think there are definitely indications for each option and pros and cons of both.  Using an implant has the advantage of shorter surgery and generally quicker recover as their is NO donor site (place to take the cartilage to build your nose).  Hence the cost is less as the OR time is less.  The risk though is that the implant can get infected and move with time if not placed correctly.  Additionally if the wrong type of implant is selected it may become exposed through the skin over time.  Alternatively you can use your own cartilage to build your nose.  Often that requires cartilage from another source other than just your septum as it may not be enough.  The best source is your rib.  Therefore the OR time is longer, there is an additional donor site, the cost is higher and recovery is longer.  Additionally the grafts can migrate (move), absorb or warp (bend).  The advantage is that the infection rate is very low, and the implant is essentially permanent as its your own tissue.  Finally there is another ways to build up your nose using a new technique with diced cartilage and this has additional advantages and may actually be a better choice.  Bottom line is you need a skilled surgeon with experience with both to help you decide whats best for YOU and why.  No one surgery works for everyone.

Hope that helps

Rady Rahban, MD

Nasal implants versus patient's tissue for rhinoplasty.

+2

Nasal implants versus patient's tissue for rhinoplasty is a frequently asked question. The advantages of nasal implants are that they are easy to place and have less swelling at the end of six months then when the patient's own tissue is used. However nasal implants can have infection shifting or extrusion and therefore, For 35 years I used the patient's own tissue which ultimately will have fewer problems. Choose a very experienced surgeon for the best results.

Nasal Implant vs Using Your Own Tissue

+2

A nasal implant involves the placement of synthetic material in your nose. Over the past 35 years I recommend that patients use their own tissue, ie cartilage, whenever possible  to avoid frequent problems associated with implants including infection, movement, and extrusion. Costs will be similar but with cartilage grafts recovery will be slightly longer.   

Nasal implant using own tissue versus implant

+2

Given the choice, it is always less risky to use your own tissue versus an implant with the nose, or any other part of the body.  Using your own tissue could possibly involve more time, and if so, it could increase the cost, but when using an implant, the cost of the implant needs to be added as well.  I would highly recommend using your own tissue if that is an option.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Autologous tissue grafts for dorsal augmentation

+2

Autologous grafts (your own tissue) have a much lower rate of infection, migration and extrusion than do synthetic implants.  They will provide an overall safer, more permanent result.  The downside to autologous grafts is that they require more time in the operating room, since your surgeon has to harvest the grafts and fashion them by hand to fit your particular nose.  Increased OR time does mean increased cost.  Recovery will vary depending on the particular surgery.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

+1

Any significant dorsal augmentation will require a rib graft or a nasal implant.  In this situation, the rib harvest is has its own set of complications including risk for pneumothorax and increased postoperative pain as well as an additional scar.  The implant does not require a donor site but has a higher incidence of extrusion and infection.  There is no right or wrong here and I can perform either based upon patient concerns and preferences.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA