Can a Nasal Impant Be Used to Correct a Slightly Twisted Nose?

Can a nasal implant ever be used to correct a slightly twisted nose, solely, without performing any other modifications? Please don't tell me to go see a board certified doctor in lieu of simply answering the question. I will if this is possible. thank you.

Nasal implant to straighten crooked nose

+1

A nasal implant will not straighten a crooked nose.  A crooked nose such as this must be addressed through a combination of medial and lateral osteotomies as well as a unilateral spreader graft on the concaved side where the mid vault portion of the nose is deviated.  A dorsal silastic implant will simply augment the nasal bridge and is not designed to straighten the nose.

Nasal Implant to Correct Twisted Nose

+1

I will not tell you to go see a board certified doctor but I cannot give you a simple answer without seeing pictures or examining you. It is possible to use an implant but I don't know if this applies to you or your problem.

+1

Without photos of the nasal tip and a history of any prior Rhinoplasty or trauma, the answers can be in general terms only.  Asymmetry or a crooked nasal tip occurs because of an uneven volume or strength of the nasal tip cartilages on either side.  The nasal tip is composed of two sides (right and left) of cartilage that's shaped like a semi-colon.  When differences in the volume, shape, size or strength of the cartilage on one side versus the other exists...the nasal tip is crooked.  In addition, the anterior aspect of the nasal septal cartilage can be crooked or bent to one side adding more tip deviation to one side.  

Rhinoplasty to correct the crooked appearance will use different techniques based on what's causing the crookedness.  Trimming excess tip cartilage, cartilage tip defining techniques with or without permenent internal sutures as well as conchal cartilage ear grafst are all used for this purpose.  Often multiple techniques are required to accomplish the desired aesthetic effect.  Hope this helps.

Nasal Implant To Correct A Crooked Nose

+1

Within a certain range, a nasal implant can correct a twist within a crooked nose but limitations are present; that is the simple and straight-forward answer.

Unfortunately, without photos and an in-person evaluation it is not possible to determine if you are a candidate to benefit from a nasal implant correcting a "slight" nasal irregularity.

That being said, please remember that commendable results require an exceptionally skilled surgeon to perform the surgery and settling for anything less than that increases the chances of additional corrective surgeries dramatically.

I hope this helps and please feel free to check the website below.

Thank you for your inquiry.
The best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Using a Nasal Implant for a "Twisted" Nose

+1

This really depends upon what you mean by "slightly twisted nose." An implant can camouflage a small deviation or bend, but if the nose is truly deviated, the implant will be too. And you also get increased height of the nose with an implant which may or may not be the right thing for your profile. So yes, go see a board certified surgeon to make a legitimate decision regarding your surgical options.

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Septoplasty and rhinoplasty for crooked nose

+1

That depends on what is actually present vs. what you think is present. Truly deviated septums and/or nasal bones require osteotomies, septoplasties etc. Minor deviations which are really just surface irregularities like small indents or concavities can be masked by placing crushed cartilage grafts.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Nasal implants for a crooked nose

+1

A nasal implant can be helpful in a twisted nose, though more typically we will rely on correcting the structures which cause the twist or deviation, and support the shape with cartilage grafts. A 'cap graft' over the bridge can help camoflage a small twist but fixing the underlying cause might be the better solution.

Implants for Crooked Nose

+1

Hi,

The answer is no. Crooked noses are corrected with osteotomies and cartilage grafts. Nasal implants are mostly used for augmentation of the nasal bridge.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS