Nasal Fracture Surgery Coming Up. How Long After Do I Have to Wait to Have Rhinoplasty?

I have to have surgery on Monday to correct a fracture. How long after do I have to wait to have the rhinoplasy surgery? My Dr. said itd be 3 different surgeries.

Nasal Fracture and Surgeries Needed

The nasal fracture will be reduced first.  In 6 months or so, a formal rhinoplasty or septorhinoplasty can be performed.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

435 North Roxbury Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Rhinoplasty after fracture

I assume your nasal fracture is fairly fresh.  A lot of this is surgeon's preference.  I usually wait 6 months.  The issue of needing 3 operations must have to do with the severity of your injury.  I would follow your surgeon's lead.

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

123 Summer Street
Worcester, MA 01608

Rhinoplasty and nasal fracture surgery

The first order of treatment is a closed reduction of your displaced nasal bones. I then wait at least 6 months after this to assess whether the reduction was successful and stabilized and if anything else needs correction. It sounds like there are underlying problems with your nose that you want to correct that are not related to the fracture? A rhinoplasty or septo-rhinoplasty can be done at that time or later, at your convenience. While revision surgery is a possibility following rhinoplasty, it is done in a small percentage of cases. It is hard to recommend anything further to you without photos. Be sure to see a board-certified plastic or fellowship trained facial plastic surgeon with extensive experience in cosmetic nose surgery.  

David R. Stephens, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

10687 NE 2nd Street
Bellevue, WA 98004

Three operations?

I I can understand the first procedure soon after the injury to try to straighten out your nose as much as possible. Then, after about three months, see what the result looks like. You may need a full rhinoplasty at that time, but I can't see the need for a third operation.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

9339 Genesse Avenue
San Diego, CA 92121-2119

Rhinopasty after Repair of Nasal Fracture

With all due respect to those providing your medical care it is very rare that I will not do the rhinoplasty when treating a fracture. It is much more efficient to treat the entire nose at one time rather than sequentially correcting various problems. 

416 N Bedford Dr
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Nasal fracture and then rhinoplasty

A nasal fracture should be reduced within the first week to ten days if possible. Then waiting about 6 months or so is a good idea to allow things to heal and settled down before undergoing a formal rhinoplasty.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

If you're considering Rhinoplasty Surgery, it may be feasible to correct your nasal fracture at the same time.

If I meet a patient after suffering from a nasal fracture, I may advise a closed reduction of the fracture, in the office, with local anesthetic. This would be to straighten a crooked appearance. In 80% of patients with nasal fractures, no further surgery is requested after an in-office, closed reduction.

20% of patients after a closed reduction will request further surgery due to dissatisfaction with their nasal appearance or their airway. In that instance, Rhinoplasty surgery may be considered.

Feel free to re ask your query with photos.

All the best to you.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

1500 Pleasant Valley Way
West Orange, NJ 07052

Timing is everything

I agree that in most cases rhinoplasty can be performed at the same time as the nasal fracture surgery.  That said, your particular anatomy, desired changes/results and severity of your injury will dictate the exact operative course.  You may want to get a second opinion, it is uncommon for three surgeries to be necessary.

Colin Pero, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

5425 W Spring Creek Pkwy
Plano, TX 75024

Nasal fracture reduction and rhinoplasty should be combined

Three separate procedures to fix your nasal fracture, and complete cosmetic changes (rhinoplasty) doesn't sound quite right as rhinoplasty which includes both as a single procedure is a more typical approach. Perhaps another opinion is in order.

8901 West Golf Road
Des Plaines, IL 60016

Nasal fracture surgery can be done with a rhinoplasty

The exact timing of rhinoplasty in relation to nasal fracture surgery can vary.  Sometimes the procedures can be combined, this is the most efficient since only one anesthetic is involved.

Robert Mounsey, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

3030 Lawrence Ave E
Toronto, ON M1P2T7