Can Bone Fragments Still Be Removed After Nasal Fracture 6 Months Ago at 1 Year Post-Accident?

Nasal Fracture 6 Months Ago Resulting in Bone Fragments on Left and Right Side of Nose Which bother me when I wear glasses. The left nostril is compressed and I cannot breathe normally out of it and my nose is slightly displaced to the right a few degrees. No closed reduction was done because of delay in getting imaging. Now I am told to wait till 1 year post injury to fix this and possibly just leave it as is! Can the fragments still be removed and injury corrected this late? Should I find another surgeon?

Rhinoplasty after trauma

+1

Thank you for the question.  During a rhinoplasty loose bone fragments that have not healed can be replaced or removed.  Bone fragments that have healed can be re-broken and moved or removed as needed.

Dr. Remus Repta

Removing bone fragments 1 year after nasal fracture

+1

Nasal septal fracture, crookedness and bone fragment removal can all be addressed by performing an open reduction nasal and septal fracture repair.  This is an outpatient procedure done under general anesthesia. Most likely the deviated septum due to the septal component of the nasal fracture and would be addressed at the same time to improve airflow dynamics through the nose.  There is no reason to wait a year post injury to fix this.  It is acceptable to have this performed shortly after the injury.  Look for an ENT facial plastic surgeon who has performed thousands of nasal surgeries.

+1

IMHO, there's no reason for waiting any longer if you want a Rhinoplasty to address the breathing and aesthetic appearance of the nose.  The nose should be healed at 6 months post trauma and in fact the typical amount of time to wait is 1 month after trauama for a Rhinoplasty IMO.  Yes, the bone fragments can be rasped or removed as needed.  

Bone Fragments and Nasal Obstruction Secondary to Fracture.

+1

The fractures can be removed or repositioned and your airway improved with a rhinoplasty and correction of your fractures. There is no need to wait a full year after the injury. Talk to your surgeon or get a get a second opinion before making a decision.

Nasal fracture and treatment

+1

Usually you should wait about a year to treat a recent nasal fracture. Certainly bony irregularities can be shaved down, and possibly corrrecting the deformituy can be achieved.

Septorhinoplasty for breathing and removing nasal fracture fragments.

+1

Septorhinoplasty for breathing and removing nasal fracture fragments can be done now for both the breathing and the removal of fragments. See an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon.