Does nasal bridge/ dorsum swell in all directions (vertical/ horizontal) after a rhinoplasty/septoplasty?

Does nasal bridge/ dorsum swell in all directions (vertical/ horizontal) after a revision rhinoplasty/septoplasty? if my bridge looks broad, does it also have the possibility of looking high with the swelling?    if i touch my swelling on the bridge (where it is high) it feels hard, but the doctor did  not add any cartilage or remove any bone there. i had a septoplasty and some cartilage added to the centre (v little) of my bridge to fix a scoop out look.   pls help and let me know if my bridge is swollen in height too. i look like a hawk now with a high bridge on one side...if i know it is internal swelling that causes the outside bone to expland i can relax and wait hoping it will subside. pls throw some light.   -Petra

Swelling after rhinoplasty

+1

Revision rhinoplasty takes a year to fully recuperate from.  When surgery is performed on the nose, the skin and nasal tissues expand in all dimensions due to postoperative edema and surgical edema swelling.

Nasal Swelling After Rhinoplasty

+1

Thank you for your question, Petra. Following rhinoplasty which involved any manipulation to the nasal dorsum, there is often swelling which affects the apparent width and height of the nasal dorsum (all directions). Internal swelling generally does not cause the outside bone to expand as you suggest. Soft tissue swelling over the nasal dorsum tends to improve markedly over the weeks following rhinoplasty, but may not resolve entirely for up to 12 months. I hope that helps.

James M. Pearson, MD

Revision Rhinoplasty Swelling

+1

Hi Petra,

Yes, your nose can swell in all directions after revision rhinoplasty.  You can relax for now.  Do share your concerns with your rhinoplasty surgeon.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Swelling after rhinoplasty

+1

There will always be swelling following a rhinoplasty and you cannot evaluate the final result until the swelling goes down which will take several months.  I know it's hard to be patient in such a situation, but ti really just takes time.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

+1

Hi Petra,

Its very difficult to give you advice without seeing your pics. You are welcome to send your pics to the links below and I can give you a better idea of what is going on.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Nose swells in all directions after rhinoplasty.

+1

Nose swells in all directions after rhinoplasty. This is normal and you should not worry about it as it will go away.