Nasal Bone Swelling?

I am five months post a revision rhinoplasty and one side of my nose at the top where the bone is supposed to be is protruding more than the other. The elevated area feels hard. My doctor tells me that the cartilage underneath the bone is still swollen. I am not sure what I should think about it as it really feels hard like a rock. Could it be that the bone is not entirely straight? Or is it possible that it is just swelling? If so, when could I expect it to disappear?

Nasal bone swelling

+1

You will still be experiencing swelling 5 months after surgery that can influence your result. Swelling following surgery can create the appearance of asymmetry and irregularities. In general, 70% of the swelling is resolved after the first 3 months and the remainder goes down over time. The final result of surgery will not be evident for 18-24 months after your procedure. I would recommend giving it some time and see how you continue to heal. Your surgeon should be able to answer any questions in the meantime. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck with the remainder of your recovery.

Upper 1/3 Swelling After Rhinoplasty

+1

The early answer on swelling along the top of the nose (aka upper 1/3 of the nose) is that the majority of swelling has disappeared after one month.  I have found that to be inaccurate however.  Swelling along the upper 1/3 of the nose can represent one of the following:

1. swelling
  2. scar tissue
  3. residual bone
  4. callous

Depending on your situation, it may be better to wait than address this too early.  

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon