Would narrowing of nostrils and Goretex work for my Asian nose without looking too "Western/fake"? (photos)

Pictures 1 to 5 illustrate my nostrils "flaring" or being "wide" when I smile or laugh, and this is mainly what I wanted to change. The surgeon I have consulted said that narrowing of the nostrils is what he would do and also use Goretex to enhance my bridge. Picture 6 shows my nose in perfect shape (side view) -->this is how I want it to look like facing front. Basically, I love my nose if I am not smiling/laughing. When I start to smile/laugh, I get the "ugly" nose as shown in Pictures 1 to 5.

Would narrowing of nostrils and Goretex work for my Asian nose without looking too "Western/fake"?

+1

An exam would be better to answer this question, but, in general, alar base reduction and dorsal augmentation with cartilage grafting is a reasonable option.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Alar base surgery

+1
keepingitreal507, A surgeon should not perform alar base surgery based on what the rims look like during animation. One should only base this surgery on the appearance of the nose when the face is in repose. Seek the opinion of a specialist. Good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Consultation and Direct Examination needed.

+1
Dear keepingitreal, Thank you for your recent inquiry and photographs. Without a direct examination it is difficult to say what needs to be done and what your ideas are of "ugly" nose and western/fake nose. In a lot of asian rhinoplasty I do use a nasal implant to enhance the bridge and alar-plasty for refining the nostrils. Using computer imaging would be helpful in determining what the proposed surgical results would look like and that would open the discussion if you are on the same page of those desired aesthetics. Once the desired results are discussed then the surgical plan would be made of how to attain those results. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Refinement of the nose during Asian rhinoplasty

+1

Alar base modification (narrowing of the nostrils) can be performed on your nose while maintaining a natural, Asian appearance.  Not all surgeons have the same level of experience or skill in performing this, so you should seek out rhinoplasty surgeons specializing in Asian rhinoplasty.  

You appear to have a nicely shaped tip, but without a true profile picture it is difficult to assess the need for increased dorsal (bridge) or tip augmentation.  During your consultation, it may be a good idea to ask your surgeon for computer imaging to better visualize what will be an attractive change for you.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Nose changes

+1
I would find an PS or Surgeons who can take your photo and alter it digitally until you find the post op image of your nose that you like. Assuming that result is realistic then ask the surgeon how he can obtain it. That way both you and the surgeon will be fully informed, he on the result you want and you on the way to achieve it. Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Brea Plastic Surgeon