How is the Narrowing of the Nose Done?

I want to get rhinoplasty for my 18th birthday because I dislike the width of my nose, and would like a more refined tip. How exactly is the cartilage fixed? Would the bone have to be broken just to narrow the rest of my nose?

How the nose is narrowed during rhinoplasty

+1

During a rhinoplasty the nasal bridge is narrowed by making small cuts in the bone and breaking the nose bones inward. This is done through both medial and lateral osteotomies. Tip cartilages are narrowed with intercartilaginous dissolvable dome sutures that sew the two lower lateral cartilages together of the tip. A portion of the tip cartilages can also be removed as well if needed. In the mid-third of the nose the upper lateral cartilages usually follow the nose bones when they are broken and narrowed inward.

Narrowing the nose

+1

Narrowing the upper 2/3's of the nose is often combined with rasping of the dorsum and in-fracturing the bones. In addition if the lower 1/3 of the nose is wide, this can be reduced as well, but this is soft tissue and requires excision.

Narrowing the Nose

+1

The bones are narrowed by doing osteotomies and repositioning them. The lower part of the nose is narrowed by changing the contour of the cartilages and/or reducing their volume. Happy Birthday!

How to narrow a nose.

+1

The bridge of the nose is narrowed by making cuts in the bones at the side of the nose. The mid line area of the bridge also needs to be freed. Usually this occurs when the hump is removed. The nasal bone rotates with a fulcrum near the eye.

Oakley Smith, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Narrowing of the nose

+1

Osteotomies (fracturing of the nasal bones) are performed to narrow the nose. To narrow your nose, your nasal bones would need to be fractured. Refining the nasal tip is a separate issue, and does not require fracturing. Your individual circumstances would determine how the nasal tip is refined. I hope this helps answer your questions. Thank you and best of luck.

Dr. Nassif

Paul S. Nassif, MD

How is the Nose Narrowed in a Nose Operation

+1

Regarding: " How is the narrowing of the nose done?   I want to get rhinoplasty for my 18th birthday because I dislike the width of my nose, and would like a more refined tip. How exactly is the cartilage fixed? Would the bone have to be broken just to narrow the rest of my nose?
"

Nose surgery (Rhinoplasty) is essentially a complex set of potential sub-operations which are put together AS NEEDED based on the patient's anatomy and request. Obviously, the nose surgery done on an African would have to be different than that that would have to be done on an Asian, if an attractive nose was to be achieved.

The nose is usually approached in stages. After exposing the cartilage and bony support of the nose, the tip is addressed first. The tip is refined by removing excess vertical width of its lower lateral cartilages and the cartilages are reshaped with sutures. Next, any humps are smoothed down and intranasal work is done to straighten the septum, minimize enlarged turbinates, place strip grafts to stabilize the septum, lengthen the nose or improve breathing and finally, if needed, the bony sides of the nose are carefully broken to allow movement of the walls to the center, narrowing the nose.

What needs to be done to get you the nose you want while maintaining breathing would depend on your examination. Discuss it with several good Plastic surgeons and choose the one you are most comfortable with.

Dr. Aldea

Narrow the nose with Rhinoplasty

+1

There are three areas of the nose that patients will usually want to have narrowed. First, the nasal bones can be narrowed. Next, the nasal tip can be narrowed. Lastly, the ala (nostrils) can be narrowed as well. Each patient is unique and may have one or more of these areas addressed. If the lower portion of your nose is wide it may not be necessary to narrow the bones. The cartilage of the tip can be worked on in many different ways. It may be as simple as removing a small amount of cartilage or it may involve suturing the cartilages together or even adding cartilage to the tip. Again, the appropriate procedure depends upon your unique anatomy and goals. Regardless of your anatomy a procedure can usually be designed that will give you the improvement you wish. 

Jon F. Harrell, DO

Narrowing the nose with rhinoplasty.

+1

The bones are fractured and at the same time the cartilages can be thinned to refine the tip and the rest of the nose.

Narrowing of the nose

+1

By doing a rhinoplasty. That is sculpturing the lower lateral and upper lateral alar cartilages, in fracture the nasal bones. So I sure this is GREEK to you thusly seek an in person opinion. From MIAMI Dr. B

How is the nose narrowed with a nose job - rhinoplasty

+1

Different portions of the nose are narrowed in different ways.  The dorsum or bridge of the nose is typically narrowed by bringing the bones in.  The base of the nose surrounding the nostrils is narrowed with strategically placed incisions at the base of the nostril and around the nostril.  The tip of the nose is refined with stitches, grafts, and carving of the cartilage.  Its probably more important for you to understand and identify what aspects of your nose concern/bother you and to seek an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon who can address them.  He/she will handle the techinical aspects of the operation.   

Etai Funk, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon