Is It Possible to Narrow the Nose Tip, with Closed Rhinoplasty?

Is it possible to narrow the nose tip, with closed rhinoplasty? If so, how will this get done? thanks eric

Closed rhinoplasty to narrow nose tip

+1

The closed rhinoplasty is an approach to the procedure, not the technique itself.  Tip plasty can be performed through either closed or open approaches.  The important part of the procedure is what is done with the actual cartilages such as suturing, tip cartilage grafting techniques, and removal of thick wide excess cartilage is what will effect the change.  In closed rhinoplasty all incisions are made inside the nose, while open rhinoplasty makes the incision across the columella in addition to the internal incisions.  The open rhinoplasty takes longer to heal.

Closed and open rhinoplasty are essentially the same procedures

+1

Closed or open rhinoplasty are both in essence the same procedures, the only difference is the exposure that is provided with the open approach.  In my hands, for the past 20 years, I have preferred the open approach for what I feel are its superior advantages.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Yes, it is possible to reduce the size of the nasal tip with a Closed Rhinoplasty.  Open Rhinoplasty, IMHO, is reserved for very wide, asymmetric, previously operated/deformed nasal tips.

Closed Rhinoplasty can narrow the nose tip

+1

Closed Rhinoplasty, also known as "endonasal rhinoplasty" can narrow the tip of the tip of the nose.  The exposure of the  cartilages in closed rhinoplasty is sufficient to identify and modify the tip cartilages to an orientation and configuration such that the tip is narrowed. 

Philip Miller, MD

Rhinoplasty and tip correction or narrowing

+1

Rhinoplasty: cam be  opened, or closed,

the boxy tip can be fixed alone with a tip rhinoplasty

The round, bifid or separated tip can be best improved by:
Open method
Tip sutures in the dome
Narrowing
Cartilage removal

Closed rhnoplasty

+1

A good rhinoplastic surgeon will be equally adept at open and closed rhinoplasties.  The best choice for you should be done in conjunction with your surgeon.  If your surgeon does both types, they will give you an opinion as to your best option.  Usually, for primary tip surgery, a closed approach works in the majority of cases.  For tips that are substantially asymmetric or need extensive revisions, then an open approach is usually done.  However, the exact surgical approach varies for each patient. 

Good luck. 

David Alessi, MD

Most changes on the nose can be done equally as well by closed as open rhinoplasty

+1

As a surgeon who has performed closed, or endonasal rhinoplasty for over 23 years, most modifications on the tip or any part of the nose can be done through a closed approach. I find results are equally as good for an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon.

My indications (reasons) for doing an open rhinoplasty a very crooked nose, need to add many grafts to the nose and in complex revision Rhinoplasty. That means, in my book, i perform over 90% of primary rhinoplasties using the closed or endonasal approach.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Narrow the tip

+1

It is absolutely possible to narrow the tip via a closed rhinoplasty is is commonly done. The issue is the final position of the cartilages after surgery and the tip cartilages most certainly can be improved and revised via  closed rhinoplasty.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Tip

+1

Absolutely. All rhinoplasty was dine closed up until about 25 years ago when dr goodman popularize the open techniue. Most of todau's young surgeons are not trauned in the closed procedure

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Closed rhinoplasty to narrow tip

+1

Yes the nasal tip can be narrowed with a closed rhinoplasty technique.  All the incisions are made within the nose and no external scar is present.  Some more difficult nasal tips though are better handled with the open technique which provides better visualization.  Donald R. Nunn MD   Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD