Will my Nose Fill out Permanantly After the Cast?

I am 6 days Rhinoplasty post-op. I had the hump removed, nose straightened, narrowed and pinched slightly at bottom. I had the cast taken off and re applied today and the doctor let me see my nose in-between procedures. I was taken aback by how narrow it looked! I asked him if it would fill out and he said yes. However, I am not sure if he meant about the swelling that will occur, or fill out for good when he takes cast off for good. Please help, I'm confused. I don't want to look like Latoya Jackson.

Early postoperative rhinoplasty (nose job) changes can be dramatic

+3

Often times the bridge can look comparitively small because the tip is swollen in the early post-operative period. As the cast is removed and the swelling subsides the proportions will improve and not look so drastic.

In time the nose will fill out after cast is removed.

+2

As soon as the cast comes off, the nose bones will tend to migrate out laterally so as not to look too pinched. In the immediate postoperative phase at one week the tip tends to be more swollen and the bridge looks pinched, and both will settle down as time passes.

Rhinoplasty splint makes nose look narrow for awhile

+2

Hi LaTonya,

Don't worry. It is normal for the nose to appear "narrow" when the cast is first removed. The nose under the splint has had pressure on it while the areas outside of the splint have increased swelling.

Once the splint is removed, it only takes a few hours for the swelling to even out. Good luck and enjoy your new nose.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Swelling will continue to subside after your rhinoplasty.

+2

Everyone is very swollen a week after rhinoplasty. I'm not sure why your nose looks too "narrow" . Do you mean that too much bump might have been removed, or does your nose look too narrow when you look straight in the mirror?

Feel free to post / email me a photo, and I'll be happy to give you my thoughts.

Best regards.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Wait another couple of weeks

+2

The first cast change after rhinoplasty can be traumatic from a psychological perspective. It is hard to see what the final result will be and certain portions of the nose will have swollen more than others. Hang in there for now since the taping and the cast can distort the final shape. Each time your cast is changed and you are re-taped you should be able to see a little more of what your nose will look like. Although final swelling can take 6 months to subside, most of the changes will be visible at about a month. Best of luck.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and splint

+1

Be patient.  The splint may be squeezing on the soft tissue a bit and make the nose look narrower than it is.  Rhinoplasty results are sometimes difficult to evaluate for at least 6 months until the majority of the swelling goes away.

Give it some time

+1

With any surgery, especially rhinoplasty, you really have to be patient and give it some time. You can look in the mirror, but don't drive yourself crazy. There are going to be changes as the tissues settle and the swelling resolves. Give it several months before even thinking about getting worried. Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Swelling may distort both shape and balance of the nose

+1

Significant post operative swelling is expected at one week following rhinoplasty. Once the splint is removed for good the swelling will dissipate gradually over the nose and midface. During this process there may be areas which appear slightly asymmetric or out of balance. I advise my patients prior to surgery of this and they expect to begin seeing the true result of the procedure after a few weeks.

Remember also that complete resolution of swelling post-rhinoplasty can take 6 to 12 months, though the majority should resolve in the first month or so. In addition, many patients need a little time to adjust to the altered appearance of their nose so I would not worry too much about a brief glimpse during a splint change.

Mark Beaty, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon