Can I Narrow my Nose Without Having a Graft, Only Osteotomy? (photo)

Can I Narrow my Nose Without Having a Graft, Only Osteotomy?

How to get a narrower nose

+1

Rhinoplasty, perhaps more than any other facial surgery, is all about contours created by light and shadows.  The nasal width is affected by how the shadows fall across the nasal bridge, as much as it is by the actual width itself.  For example, a person with a normal nasal width who has a very very low bridge (as is often seen in patients of Asian background) can have the appearance of a 'wide' bridge.  In those cases, raising the bridge can help make the nose look narrower.

In your case, it is impossible to make a determination without an examination, but it appears that your dorsum (bridge) is a bit low, certainly in relation to your nasal tip.  In that case, raising the bridge can help.  Also, if your nasal bones are short (can't tell for sure from photos) it isn't a great idea to do osteotomies--

I hope this helps you and I wish you the best of luck.

Dr. Most

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

I have performed Rhinoplasty for over 25 years.  When the nasal bones are short (low nasal dorsum or bridge) they can collapse when osteotomies are performed to narrow the nose as the bones on each side lack sufficient height to come together in the middle.  This then requires addition of a dorsal graft, which I prefer using the straight silastic implants.  This is most likely why the dorsal graft was suggested.

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

Please narrow my nose

+1

Your nasal bones seem wide, but the base of your nasal tip (called the alar base - where the nostrils meet the upper lip) also seems wide.  You have to think of a nose that looks natural and is in appropriate proportion.  How much and where it can be narrowed can also be affected by how well it functions.  

Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Narrow Nose

+1

Wonderful thoughts from a number surgeons!  Consider your entire nasal package as you narrow your mid-nose.  I can think of at least ten different ways to help you achieve your goals. So, seek consultation from several sources.

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

There are Many Ways to Narrow the Nose

+1

Osteotomies would narrow your nose. The real question is whether you would get enough narrowing to acieve the look you want. From the side view, your dorsum is a bit low, and while the osteotomies would raise the dorsum somewhat, they would likely not raise it high enough to give a nice smooth result. A graft on top of the dorsum would not only give you a straighter look from the side but by elevating the dorsum it would make your nose look even narrower and more proportional. Some of your own septal cartilage would work nicely for this.

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Focus on your goal

+1

It is possible for you to see a small amount of narrowing with an osteotomy. It looks like a graft would help give the nose a more refined shape; however, it is difficult to give a definitive opinion from these photos.

Low dorsum

+1

The osteotomy will elevate your dorsum but this may not be enough. One has to achieve a certain level of proportionality in order to have an ideal result but if you can be satisfied with some improvement, then osteotomy should suffice.

Web reference: http://www.cosmeticsurgery4you.com

Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Noses can be narrowed without osteotomies

+1

Depending on your anatomy, you may be a candidate for visually narrowing your nose via augmenting the dorsum with cartilage, injections, or (rarely) implants. 

I would not, however, rule out osteotomies altogether. Go in with a result as your goal; try to be flexible with the path that gets you there- some ppaths are better than others!

Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal width

+1

If you have a low dorsum, it can make your nose look wide on full face view.  AN exam in person would be critical to better evaluate your situation.  Good luck.

+1

Your dorsum is low.  The classic approach to this nose would be to use a rib cartilage graft.  In some patients, who want a less intrusive simpler procedure, I've had good success with fat grafting, both with injection and open dermal fat grafting.