Can I Narrow My Nose a Bit and Make It Generally Smaller on my Face with Rhinoplasty? (photo)

I am interested in making my nose less wide and generally smaller. I am especially self-conscious about it when I smile (will try to add some smiling pictures later), because it flares up and the ala (I think they're called) really protrude from the sides a lot. The last picture is how i'd like me nose.

Smaller nose with rhinoplasty

+1

It is certainly possible to narrow the nose by addressing the width of the nasal tip with tip suturing techniques and osteotomies to narrow the lower two-thirds of the nose.  This can all be done through closed rhinoplasty techniques as an outpatient procedure.

Rhinoplasty: Narrowing Nose and Reducing Size

+1

It's good to include photos of what you want your nose to look like after rhinoplasty as you did, and you should bring these to your in-person consultation.  Everyone's nose and skin are different, so it's important to remember that the final result may not look exactly like your desired photo, but it does give your surgeon a good visual idea of what you are looking for.  In your case, a rhinoplasty procedure by a board-certified plastic surgeon would be able to address the wideness and nostril flaring of your nose that you are unhappy with. Hope this helps.

Norman M. Rowe, MD

Rhinoplasty

+1

Be careful what you ask for because you could get more than you bargained for. If you narrow the nose you may feminize it. The alar base though does appear wide so you may benefit from surgery on the tip including alar base narrowing.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Narrowing a nose

+1

Yes a nose can be made narrower in the bones and the tip.  The limiting factor will be your breathing, because making a nose too small or too narrow will result in nasal airway obstruction and valve collapse.  Your best chance for getting the best results is with the first rhinoplasty (as opposed to a revision), so be sure to select your surgeon carefully based on an in-person consultation, before/after photos, experience, word-of-mouth reputation, etc.  Your surgeon should understand both form and function of the nose, and both you and your surgeon must work well together to achieve the desired goals as closely as possible.

Thomas T. Le, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can I Narrow My Nose a Bit and Make It Generally Smaller on my Face with Rhinoplasty?

+1

Yes, the nasal bones and tip can be thinned to approximate the desired appearance in the enclosed photo.  

Rhinoplasty Improving Nasal Asymmetries

+1

Dear Jak,

Thank you for your inquiry.

First, it is important to note that every patient is unique and the best results are obtained when the Rhinoplasty is planned to best fit the patient's facial features.

Second, your goal will be best addressed with a multifaceted rhinoplasty as small adjustments are to be made at different regions of the nose: tip, dorsum, etc.

I encourage you to consult with a board certified surgeon of extensive experience in Rhinoplasty who will be able to examine you and help you develop a well informed decision.

Best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

"Can my nose look like the one on the magazine picture after the surgery?"

+1

You can definitely get some good improvement with rhinoplasty. You are going to need tip work to improve tip definition and correct widened alae. Keep in mind, that even though your nose may look closer to your ideal, it will not be the same.

Alexander Ovchinsky, MD

Nasal improvement

+1

Being that it looks like you have fairly thick skin, you may not get the same refinement as the model photo you posted. Refinement can possibly be achieved, but not like that in the model you posted.

It's hard to compare surgical results to photos of a model

+1

You asked a common question, can my nose look like this one and you included the photo of a model. People have different skin types, cartilage strength and shapes as well as the rest of the facial features. Your nose can be improved but since you have moderately thick skin it will not be as refined as the model photo you posted.

Nostrils can be narrowed as well to reduce flaring with smiling.

So, if you expect your nose look like this model's, no. But if this is just to demonstrate what you think is an attractive nose, yes the shape of your nose can be improved.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Smaller Nose with Rhinoplasty

+1

Your nose can be reduced and better defined so it is proportional with your surrounding facial features. Your skin is a little thicker than the nose shown as a goal but your expectations are reasonable.