Raised lumps at the corner of the eyes after blepharoplasty. Seems a bad suture technique. Will these go away? (Photo)

I'm 55 years old and 10 days ago I had lower eye blepharoplasty done to remove bags from under the eyes and tighten the muscle and skin. I'm healing nicely and all bruising is almost gone. My question is whether the lump formed at the corner of both eyes as result of the sutures will go away or at least soften. Right now, to the touch the raised skin feels pretty solid and "meaty" and not just like a swelling type situation. Thanks.

Bump in corner of eye after blepharoplasty

+1
Realistically ten days doesn't mean much in evaluating any surgery. You should ask your surgeon about this. It is not uncommon to place a suture in this area to hold tissue in place. It should resolve without much problem

Bumps at the outer corners after surgery

+1
often if there is tightening of the muscle during lower lid surgery there are dissolvable sutures under the skin at the outer corners. depending on what kind of sutures used these can last for several days, but should soften over the next few weeks. warm compresses often speed this process, and you can talk to your surgeon about massage to the area. if you have any concerns about infection (if they are getting bigger, more red or more tender)  i would speak to your surgeon.

Katherine A. Lane, MD
South Burlington Oculoplastic Surgeon

Bumps along skin incision.

+1
Depending on the way your lower eyelid skin and muscle was supported you may have some deep dissolvable sutures that can sometimes cause a localized reaction that generally will resolve on its own.  After it has been a few weeks you can generally massage these areas without concern.  I would discuss with your plastic surgeon.  Best wishes.

John R. Burroughs, MD
Colorado Springs Oculoplastic Surgeon

Small bumps along the incision after rhinoplasty are common.

+1
From the photograph I don't see anything to be alarmed about. If you're concerned you should have free access to your plastic surgeon to examine you.

Raised lumps at the corner of the eyes after blepharoplasty. Seems a bad suture technique. Will these go away?

+1
Not rally you have poor skin issues as seen in the posted photos. Thus the healing would be more difficult... Best to address with your operative surgeon... 

Lump at lateral edge of blepharoplasty incision

+1
Very hard to see clearly in the photograph you posted. More than likely this is normal swelling and healing, but always best to ask your surgeon.

Small lateral lump following a blepharoplasty at 10 days post op

+1
Your plastic surgeon is in the best position to understand the problem. It is possible that there is a buried suture in this location or the skin was thicker.  If you were made of cloth this would never change but with massage and time this may improve. 

Raised scar after lower bleph

+1
Tough to tell in this picture, but may all be normal.  The skin once you get out past the corner is much thicker and will sometimes take longer to heal and flatten out.  There may also be a suture under there that will need more time to resorb.  It is starts to swell more, or develop redness and become tender, you may be having a reaction to a buried stitch and should see your surgeon.

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Normal Post Bleph Recovery

+1
Thank you for your question and photo. It seems like you are recovering normally. The bump can be caused by a buried suture or swelling of the tissues. It is possible to make it flat by making the incision longer but it may not be worth it.  This type of issue usually resolves on its own as the swelling resolves or with gentle massage. Discuss your concern further with your surgeon.  Best wishes on your recovery.

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Bumps after Bleph

+1
thank you for your pictures.  It's possible that this is nothing to do with the surgical technique.  I'm concerned that you may be developing an infection or a cyst around the suture material.  It's important to see your surgeon and discuss this with them.

Salvatore Pacella, MD, MBA, FACS