Can I Get a New Left Earlobe? (photo)

Hi i was woundering if i can get a new left earlobe? I dont have a left earlobe due to a keloid that i used to have and they had to cut off my whole earlobe. Sooo i was wpundering if i can get surgery to get a new one and not get the reoccurrance of a keloid after going through this procedure?

Ear Lobe Reconstruction Possible?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Yes, it may be possible to reconstruct the  earlobe for you. It will be in your best interests to collect any existing preoperative pictures ( demonstrating the “keloid”) that was present previously to review with your plastic surgeon. Consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon will be helpful to you. During this consultation process make sure you learn about the potential treatment options, the potential risk/complications associated with the procedures offered, the potential trade-offs associated with the operations offered ( such as the potential for recurrent abnormal scarring)...

Once you have considered all the pros/cons involved you will be able to make a good decision whether the potential risk of additional surgery are worth the potential benefit.

Missing Ear from Keloids

+2

Repeated surgery for removing earlobe keloids can lead to almost complete removal of earlobe. It is important to realize that KELOIDS OF EARLOBES have a very high recurrence rate and it can happen up to two years after surgery. Knowing that in mind you should be careful about any reconstructive surgery on the earlobe, even if it is to create a new earlobe. If you have no history of keloids anywhere on the body and it was an isolated incident then wait for at least 3 years since your last surgery and then get reconstruction.

Regards

Dr. J

Disclaimer: This answer is not intended to give a medical opinion and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Earlobe Reconstruction Does Not Pose Risk For Keloid Recurrence

+2

Your earlobe can be reconstructed using local tissues and normally takes two separate stages to get the final result. While I don't know what condition resulted in the need for the earlobe amputation, I would be surprised if it was a true keloid. But assuming that it was, that problem is now cured. New tissues used for the earlobe pose a very low risk for recurrence of the original scar problem.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Earlobe Reconstruction

+2

Earlobe reconstruction can be performed.  It will require a couple of procedures by using the surrounding skin to gain enough tissue to restore the missing lobe.  When treating earlobe keloids I preserve the skin and "shell" out the keloid.  This works fairly well.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Reconstruction of an earlobe is a simple procedure borrowing skin from behind the ear.

+2

I find the diagnosis and treatment of a "keloid" unusual.  Nevertheless, the deficiency of the earlobe can be corrected by importing some tissue from behind the ear.  I think the chances of keloid formation are remote.

Earlobe reconstruction

+1

Creating a new earlobe for you is possible, but it requires the addition of tissue to your ear.  This is not so simple to do, will require scarring in the area, with the risk of keloids and will probably require multiple procedures.  The best thing would be to attach the free edge of the lobe ( the pointed area ) to the cheek.  Your earlobe will be small, but it will be a big improvement over what you have.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Ear keloid

+1

If you had a previous ear keloid that was treated and now you lost part of your earlobe, it is not a good idea to try to reconstruct it.  You will be prone to getting keloids where ever you make an incision to reconstruct the lobe.

Earlobe Reconstruction Possible

+1
Thank you for your question and photo.  It is possible to reconstruct your earlobe with some of the surrounding tissue by creating a flap.  An in person consultation will be required to assess the surrounding tissues in order to see how much useful tissue you have that could be used. This will impact the final size of the resulting earlobe.  You should consult a board certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss this procedure further. Good luck!

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Reconstrucing a new ear lobe

+1

You can have a new earlobe through several local manipulations of adjacent tissues.  However, any surgery will require another incision, which could result in a keloid.

Talmage Raine MD FACS

dr@drraine.com

Talmage J. Raine, MD