Anyone in Naples, Florida Doing the NEW Laser Eyelid Surgery?

Naples or Ft. Myers, NEW laser eye lid surgery started in Tampa by Dr. Scheiner???? Seems less invasive & less time to heal.

The Newest Eyelid Surgery May Not Bet the Best Eyelid Surgery

+3

Use of CO2 laser for eyelid surgery was suggested many years ago when the ultra-pulsed CO2 laser first appeared and gained wide acceptance as a good treatment for facial wrinkles. 

Although there was less bleeding and bruising, the time it took the incision to heal was actually longer.  The incision also stayed weaker, longer.  There was almost no difference in down time and the appearance of the final result.

There is also some added risk of using the laser near the eyeball.

Bottom line is that using the laser didn't make much of a difference so it was pretty much abandoned except by clever marketers who are trying to lure in unsuspecting patients by saying they do "the latest thing".  Don't fall for it.  Do your homework and find a board certified plastic surgeon who does eyelid surgery on a weekly basis and you are more likely to get a safe, high quality procedure and a good result.

Sarasota Plastic Surgeon

ANOTHER "New" Laser Eyelid Surgery

+3

As regards lasers in Eye Surgery "The more things change, the more they are the same" . Although you may be led into believing that using a laser in eyelid surgery is a brand new way of doing things is new - it is not. It has been used for years WITHOUT demonstrated benefit over other ways of making the incision. For this reason, I and many of my colleagues would be suspicious of any surgeon making such superlative claims.

Dr. Peter A Aldea

Not a good idea

+3
Laer has been used for cutting the tissue with no advantage. It more marketing tool and does not provide better wound healing or scaring.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Please try not to fall for hype.

+3

Using lasers to perform eyelid surgery is not new.  These surgeries use a laser as the cutting device.  It sounds sexy and starwarish but the conveyed advantages are limited.  In addition, the laser devitalizes the cut edges of skin so sutures must be left in much longer compared to conventional cutting methods.  This tends to counter balance any advantages.  The most important aspect of eyelid surgery is the brain behind the cutting not the device used.  Dr. Scheiner has solid credentials.  You don't live so far.  Certainly in Florida there is not lack of highly qualified eyelid surgeons.  If you do travel to Tampa, you might also look up Dr. Mack who is also very well qualified.

Newest Form of Eyelid Surgery?

+2

Is using a laser in Blepharoplasty a new technique, an original technique, or does it convey any benefit to existing techniques in Blepharoplasty?  No, no, and no.  Is using a laser in Blepharoplasty a marketing tool?  Absolutely, and an older one at that (decade or so).  I would recommend you choose a Surgeon based on the quality of work he/she is known to do as opposed to claims made in marketing. 

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Laser eyelid surgery in Naples, Florida

+2
Utilizing a CO2 laser to make an upper eyelid incision is not a new technique.  The laser is simply another tool used to make an incision, one that is effective.  I would suggest seeing a surgeon who performs eyelid surgery regularly, and let that surgeon use their judgement as to which technique offers the best results in their hands. 

Anurag Agarwal, MD
Naples Facial Plastic Surgeon

Laser Blepharoplasty Eyelid Surgery has advantages in my hands but the skill of the surgeon is more important than the tool

+1

The most important factor in obtaining an excellent Blepharoplasty result is the skill and experience of your surgeon. A skilled experienced eyelid surgeon can achieve an equally good result with laser or scalpel.

I have used the CO2 laser for my Blepharoplasty incisions exclusively for 15 years in over 2500 patients and am very happy with the technique. I find bleeding and bruising much less than with the scalpel and am able to make more accurate cuts for tissue removal. I would disagree that it is solely a marketing tool and long term studies have demonstrated advantages of the laser technique.

However laser Blepharoplasty is NOT NEW.

If by new you are referring to recent studies in the Dermatology literature suggesting that laser Resurfacing can obtain similar results to Blepharoplasty DO NOT BELIEVE IT.

Blepharoplasty is a three dimensional operation that requires addressing skin, muscle and fat aging changes in the eyelid. Simply treating the surface skin with a laser will not correct these deep changes.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS