Would I be able to fix this with lipo alone or would I need a neck lift as well? (photo)

Would I be able to fix this with lipo alone or would I need a neck lift as well? Maybe even a chin implant? I CAN hold my head in such a way that this doesn't show but that's not very candid :) Thank you!

Neck Lift or Liposuction

+1

In a patient with a poorly defined cervicomental angle, liposuction alone does not achieve the best result.  A neck lift with extensive defatting in the supraplatysmal and subplatysmal layers along with plication of muscles, etc. will likely produce a better result.  In your particular case, a chin implant would not improve the results.

Necklift

+1

Neck Lift (Cervicoplasty / Platysmaplasty): restoring elegance to the face

Though it is not technically part of the face, a neck with loose, sagging skin can age the face dramatically. A neck lift is a standard part of most facelift surgeries, as the neck skin is mobilized in continuity with the lower face.

Immediately under the skin of the neck is the platysma muscle, which you can easily see in a mirror when you clench your teeth and tighten your jaw. In youth, this paired muscle meets in the midline below the chin. With age, the right and left sides of the platysma often separate, producing vertical 'cords' in the anterior neck. The platysma can be divided anteriorly and tightened during neck lift cosmetic surgery to permanently eliminate these 'cords' and improve the neck contour. One tightened in the midline below the chin, lateral traction on the platysma then creates a 'sling' which elevates the soft tissues below the jawline.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Neck lift best for difficult neck.

+1

Hi.

You do not need a chin implant, and liposuction alone will not help you.  You have a low hyoid bone, and you need a really good neck lift that will release some muscles and that will remove the difficult fat UNDER the platysma muscles.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Improving the appearance of the neck

+1

Hello, and thank you for providing a photo. It appears you would benefit from both a neck lift and liposuction of the chin/neck area. The two procedures combined yield the best result when the patient is a good candidate. From here, I would recommend a consultation with a board certified surgeon who uses computer imaging software. He/she will be able to morph a photo of you and give you an idea of how the final result may appear. Thank you and good luck!

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Neck Lift and Liposuction

+1

Liposuction will only help with the extra fatty tissue in the neck it will not help tighten the skin of the neck. I would suggest a combination of liposuction and a neck lift for a better result and possibly a lower face lift as well. I suggest you have a consultation with a board certified facial plastic surgeon to discuss your options. That way you will know what procedure would work best for you and have an idea of what the procedure will cost.  “Dr. D”

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

You will be disappointed with lipo-only results!

+1

Though your skin tone looks reasonably good, the apparent amount of excess fatty tissue AND subsequent loose skin after fat is removed will be best treated by necklift/lower facelift, anterior platysmaplasty surgery. If you have a low hyoid bone, less dramatic results may be all that can be achieved, but if this is all fat and loose skin, lipo alone will almost certainly "fall short" of an optimal result!

Secondary surgery to lift and tighten the deflated loose skin is always possible, but healing and scarring must be allowed to soften and mature for 6-12 months before re-operation. Why not do the "best" option first, and save yourself the cost, down-time off work or social activities, and risk of two surgeries?! Get several opinions from ABPS-certified plastic surgeons in your area and see what makes the most sense to you. Click on the web reference link below for examples of my patients undergoing facelift/necklift procedures; use the drop down menu to also look at chin implant patients who also underwent direct fat excision, just as the female patient shown in the photo section under chin implant on this site. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen 

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Neck lift or lipo options

+1

Hi, a necklift with a "corset platysmaplasty" would get you a homerun!  A chin implant would go in after you had healed but only if you needed it.  Best wishes!!!

Stefan Mark Szczerba, MD

Necklift and neck liposuction

+1

Dear CCMomma,

• Neck liposuction is great for a younger age group with great skin elasticity as the neck will re contour as it heals
  • For the best definition, a formal necklift is much more precise and you can tighten the muscle at the same time
  • I think for you, given your anatomy, a necklift would work best

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Neck lift and Liposuction

+1

It looks like you may need both Liposuction and a neck tightening procedure. Liposuction alone can't really tighten your neck but will only remove the excess volume created by the underlying fat. Tightening and thereby defining your neck angle through a platysmaplasty or mini neck lift as it is often called will likely give you a superior result.   Thanks

Thomas Buonassisi, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck lift?

+1

Thank you for your question and for submitting the photo. It is impossible to give a definitive answer without examining your neck, but I will give some thoughts. There are a variety of reasons for loss of the contour of a neck, or lack of a sharp angle between the neck and jawline. These would include lack of skin elasticity and excess skin, loss of muscle tone, and accumulation of fat, either above or below the muscle layer. Choice of the proper procedure to improve this relies on recognizing the source of the problem.

Based on your photo, I think that you would certainly have some improvement of your neck with liposuction alone. However, this would not create a sharp angle, but would look better. There does appear to be a component of muscle laxity, which would need correction in order to create further improvement. This could likely be done through a limited incision neck lift, which would create a sharper angle of your neck.

If this is something that you are considering, a consultation with a plastic surgeon would help. After an examination of your neck, a thorough discussion of your options could be had, which would include the advantages and disadvantages of each approach. I do think that your neck could be nicely improved.

Best of luck with your neck.

Jeff Rockmore

Jeffrey Rockmore, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon