Is It Safe to Undergo a Tertiary Rhinoplasty for Irregular Nose Tip? (photo)

Hi, my fist surgery was in 2003 for a hump and bulbous tip. The doctor said he couldn't operate on my tip cause I have too soft cartilages and it would be too risky. In 2008 I had the 2nd procedure. This time, the doctor rearranged the bones and narrowed a bit the tip. He said too that my cartilages were too soft and had to put in grafts. This made my nose look fatter and crooked. Would it be dangerous trying to get my tip redone?My latest doctor refused it... Note: I have thick nose skin.

Rhinoplasty revision safety on the 3rd, 4th, and 5th time

+1
I've got to say that from my experience, the outcomes of revision rhinoplasty depend on the amount of scar tissue and the goals.  Safety is an issue depending on what has been done and what needs to be done, but with proper planning, this can be worked out.  The problems that come up, however, can be unpredictable and an experienced surgeon can handle those issues.

Rhinoplasty X 3

+1
Tertiary rhinoplasty can be done successfully but I believe you have had quite a good improvement from your first surgery at least from your frontal picture. You will have to determine the risks vs benefits of further surgery.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tertiary Rhinoplasty

+1

There are always risks with any operation, including revision rhinoplasty. The skin of your nasal tip looks healthy but the risk of complications can be determined by an experienced surgeon. I frequently see patients like yourself and feel you can be significantly improved; I encourage you to consider a revision.

Is it save to have a tertiary revision rhinoplasty?

+1

An exam would really be necessary to give you the most accurate advice. In the hands of a specialist, improvements can likely be made with another revision. It is important to keep in mind that with thick skin, you may not achieve the level of tip definition you desire. From here, I would recommend doing your homework and seeking a consult with a board certified revision rhinoplasty specialist who has a great deal of experience. He/she may use computer imaging software to give you an idea of how the final result may appear. Good luck, and I hope this helps. 

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Revision rhinoplasty

+1

The main issue for revision is the danger of re-elevating the nasal skin repeatedly.  This can cause problems.  The tip does look a bit full and may need further work.

Third Time Rhinoplasty Surgery

+1

Knowing what I know about rhinoplasty and revision rhinoplasty surgery, I do not see anything real obvious that tells me you cannot have further surgery. You need to find someone who is well versed in revisionary rhinoplasty surgery to ensure you get the best possible result. 

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

Its perfectly fine to get another rhinoplasty as long as the surgeon know what to do. It looks like your nose is wide in the tip and the mid-vault or middle. This would require reconstrution of your tip cartilages and upper lateral cartilages.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Risk of tertiary rhinoplasty

+1

The major risk of a 3rd rhinoplasty is a potential complication with the skin envelope. A consultation with an experienced rhinoplasty specialist may help asses the quality and viability of your skin.

The grafts you have in place would have to be removed and or replaced in order to compensate for the asymmetry and fat-ness, you are referring to

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon