Is It a Myth That Sub-muscular Implants Have to "Drop" to Look Good?

I am 9 days post-op from a sub muscular breast augmentation. I had a full lift 9 months ago, and I feel like I have "snoopy" boobs. My upper pole is full, and my nipples seem to point down now. I am freaked out, and at my post op appointment, my doc said this was normal? It just doesn't seem right. I think he may have placed the implant too high.

It is a myth that breast implants have to drop.

1)  I am clearly in the minority here, but I can only talk about our experience.  At the end of surgery, the breasts should  look exactly like you want them to look. They should be at the right level.   If they don't,  we keep operating.

2)  I am sorry to say I think you are right.  It sounds as if your implants are too high.  Of course, you should wait at least four months, but you will probably need a revision.

Hello! Thank you for your question! You are still early post-procedure. Your appearance looks typical at this stage and will continue to improve as the swelling subsides and the implants continue to settle into their desired position. This usually proceeds over the next several weeks as the lower pole skin/breast stretches to accommodate the implants. Follow-up closely with your surgeon for additional restrictions/instructions and the potential use of bras/garments or massage that may encourage the implant to settle appropriately. If still displaced after this time, a surgical procedure may be necessary to further open the pocket and bring the implant(s) down. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Sub-muscular implants settling post op.

You are very early in your post operative course.  Sometimes patients will see spasm in their pectoralis muscle. The implants can be seen as high toward the clavicle.  They typically will drop into a more natural position over the next few months.  Please continue to follow up with your plastic surgeon and let him/her know your concerns.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Breast augmentation and dropping

When implants are placed under the muscle, there is spasm of the muscle and the implants tend to ride a bit high. Over a few months period, they usually descend into the pocket.

Breast Implants Too Full On Top

Wait for 6-12 weeks after the surgery date to see how things look. If they still look top heavy you will probably need further muscle release at the bottom of the breast to turn the pocket into what we call a double plane. Hopefully that won't be necessary, but if so it is a fairly quick procedure that your doctor will probably not charge for.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Too early to tell

Ten days after a breast augmentation is too early to say what the final result will look like.

Early after a breast augmentation many patients will have greater fulness in the upper breast because the skin and breast tissue of the lower part of the breast adjacent to the fold is the tightest area.  This takes longer to relax and as it does the implant settles more completely into the pocket.  Provided the operation was done with the creation of symmetrical pockets the implants should settle over the next several weeks and everything will work out fine.  Keep in touch with you surgeon.

Thank you for your question and best wishes.

Ralph R. Garramone, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

When will submuscular implants drop

There is a bit of controversy about what it means when an implant drops. We beleive that the pocket at the time of placement should be centered on the nipple, with the fold set symmetrically. The implant can be 'high' because the skin in the lower breast envelope can be tighter and hold the implant higher in the pocket, and over time the skin will relax and the implant settle into the breast. But if the skin envelope is lax and the implant is high and the breast falls over the surface of the implant, perhaps a red flag. Either the pocket or the lift may be off, though time now will tell.

Implant Dropping

Almost every patient augmented beneath the muscle have the implants ride high for a while until they drop.  Some patients this can occur as soon as a week or two but most patients need a month or two.  Do not freak out  the vast majority of patients with the appearance that you describe will be just fine in time.

Gary Hall,MD

Gary Hall, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Sub-muscular Breast Implants?

At 9 days post op from breast augmentation it is much too early to evaluate the end results of surgery;  you certainly should not be “freaked out”.

Breast implants do tend to  "ride high” for several  weeks to months after breast surgery. I see this every day in my practice.

I would suggest you continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon and follow his  instructions.

Please Wait Three to Four Months for "Snoopy" Boobs to Go Away

"Fluffing" refers to the impression that the lower breast enlarges and that your skin softens with the creation of new tissues. The extent to which this occurs depends on several factors, including the implant size, the tightness of your skin, and your body shape.