Could I Get Myopia Back 6 Years After C Lasik?

I had C lasik done in 2005, have vision issues again it seems. I have difficulty in reading distant things. Vision is Blur for a distance.Please advise if I need to see an Opthalmologist again/same doctor who operated before?  I had -3.75 & -5.5 vision when I got operated on.

Regression following LASIK

+1

Regression can occur following LASIK.  Some people's eyes do not change at all while others, do regressl.  The amount of regression is dependant on your eyes, healing, original prescription and whether other conditions are occurring in your eyes. Enhancements may be performed to improve your vision if your eyes are healthy, the prescription is stable and the thickness of your cornea or front surface of the eye is adequate.  The most important thing is for you to have your eyes checked to determine the health of your eyes and that stability of the prescription has occurred. 

San Diego Ophthalmologist

Return of Myopia after LASIK

+1

It is extremely rare to become more nearsighted again after LASIK.  It is possible that some should not have had LASIK in the first place and then develop a weakening of the cornea called ectasia.  This would be very uncommon in a patient treated in the last 10 years as we have had excellent methods of pre-screening patients from having surgery in the first place.  The vast majority of my patients that I see who complain of difficulty with their vision after LASIK are having problems because of dry eyes.  Some who have had surgery from discount laser centers using older laser technologies may develop regression and would be helped with an enhancement procedure using WaveFront technology.  Among my patients, the second most common cause for difficulty with vision years after LASIK is the development of early cataracts.  I suggest that anyone having visual difficulties after LASIK see a surgeon for a comprehensive evaluation, but don't jump to the conclusion of a return of nearsightedness as this is very uncommon.

Mark Golden, MD
Chicago Ophthalmologist

Return of myopia after LASIK LASEK epiLASIK epiLASEK

+1

if you're less than 30 years old, you MUST be OVERCORRECTED or you will need an ENHANCEMENT

the reason for this is your prescription is NOT STABLE until you're 30

that's because your eyeball is STILL GROWING until 30, but STOPS GROWING at 30

therefore, if you got your LASIK at 25, for example, your surgeon should have used a NOMOGRAM or regression formula to calculate what Rx you would wind up with at age 30, using your OLD PRESCRIPTIONS and progression to date to calculate this

unfortunately, as a surgeon, you cannot create an accurate formula unless you have lasered over 1000 cases, or MORE than 100 cases a year

so, if you went to a surgeon who "sometimes does LASIK" but "mostly does cataract surgery" he probably didn't have enough experience or confidence to over-laser you sufficiently to account for your myopic regression, which now is requiring you to need an enhancement

that's why i advise people to only go to a surgeon who SPECIALIZES in REFRACTIVE SURGERY, does not perform other types of surgery, completed a 1-2 year REFRACTIVE FELLOWSHIP after residency, and performs 1,000 cases a YEAR, as then he has the requisite experience and confidence to treat you appropriately

you can go back to your original surgeon if he has some type of guarantee or discount for enhancements, but i doubt he does after so many years. if he doesn't, then you should go to somebody more experienced, the chance of needing an enhancement for your moderate level or myopia going in is almost 0

hopes this helps, and please don't go back to him and say i said that he was a bad surgeon--i'm just saying that people should have LASEK by MDs who actually specialize in that (just as i stopped performing cataract surgery 10 years ago, and so sent my own parents to someone in NYC who only does that, so is a super-expert in that subspecialty)

Emil Chynn, MD
New York Ophthalmologist

Myopic Regression can Occur

+1

Dear Divs,

Myopic lasik works by subtracting central corneal tissue and thus flattening the cornea.  If your cornea steepens or the lens of your eye becomes more dense, regression can occur.  The best thing to do is go to an ophthalmologist and have a dilated eye exam with a refraction.  The cause of your regression should be diagnosed and then can be discussed.

Stuart Lewis, MD
Denver Ophthalmologist