My 9 Year Old Daughter Fell Front Top Tooth Loose Wired No Fractures Failed Cold Test? Does She Need Root Canal?

Monitored 3 times. No damage seen on x ray. Failed cold test recommended root canal. She has no pain or discolouration. Can this heal on own as no infection? Should I ask for specialist opinion?

9 year old fell.

+1

If there is no sign of infection on X-ray, and if there is no sensitivity to HOT, then there is still a chance the nerve will heal itself. It would be. good idea to have it checked by an endodontist.  I would probably hold off on the root canal if it was my child. 

Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist

Trauma on fron teeth on a 9 year old. Root canal or not?

+1

9 year olds front teeth have excellent healing capacity. They have large pulp chambers and good circulation. I would not jump into root canal therapy unless there are signs and/or symptoms that warrant it. (for example: pain, swelling, changes on an x-ray, color changes)

Once you do root canals on such a young tooth you doom it to long term problems, especially if a post or crown is done as well.

I would highly recommend to keep following it up and take an X-ray every 6 mo for 2 years. Then, once a year after that. The cold test by itself is only a clue and not a definitive diagnosis in trauma cases.

The trauma may be too soon for the nerve endings to regenerate to the point of sensing cold again. If in doubt, go get a consultation from a Board Certified Endodontis.

Good Luck.

Dr. T

Miami Beach Cosmetic Dentist

9 year old fell on front tooth

+1

If there is no sign of infection on X-ray, and if there is no sensitivity to HOT, then there is still a chance the nerve will heal itself. It would be. good idea to have it checked by an endodontist (root canal specialist).

New York Cosmetic Dentist