Im on my 4th Week Post Tummy Tuck and Lipo. is It Normal to Still Walk a Little Hunched?

my right hip feels tight , and hard for me to stand straight, will massaging it help? the incision looks closed, but can it still open or stretch if i try to walk straight?

4th Week Post Tummy Tuck

+2

By this time you should be able to stand straight, and your incisions should be strong enough to tolerate normal posture. 

Sometimes it is not the skin tightness but spasm in the trunk muscles that cause the problem. Often this can be overcome by leaning back against the wall near something you can hold onto, and then using your legs, rather than your back to straighten. You may find this much easier to do than you expect. Try this every few hours for a day or two, and often the problem is gone.

Thanks and best wishes. 

Walking upright after tummy tuck

+1

Most patients start walking more upright at 7-10 days after surgery, although there still may be a feeling of tightness for 4-6 weeks. You should be able to perform stretching exercises without concern of compromising your results at this point. Every patient responds slightly different to surgery and I would suggest that you are a little on the slow side of returning to normal activities. Massaging may help, but stretching exercises will be more effective. 

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Walking hunched after tummy tuck

+1

Thank you for your question. It is not uncommon to hav e some tightness after a tummy tuck that can last for a variable amount of time. By 4 weeks, people are typically able to walk fully upright, but usually do have a feeling of tightness of their belly. Your incisions at this point should be sufficiently healed to tolerate this.

Trying to gradually straighten your back as you walk should help. I would suggest being seen by your plastic surgeon if there are any questions, as they have a better idea of the scope of the surgery and can also examine your healing.

Best of luck with your continued recovery and enjoy your new belly.

Jeff Rockmore

Jeffrey Rockmore, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

TIghtness after tummy tuck and liposuction

+1

At four weeks after surgery it is not unusual to have some tightness. If you have concerns touch base with your surgeon.

Tummy tuck recovery

+1

After a tummy tuck it is often best to stay flexed at the waist in order to protect the incisions for the first few days.  By the end of the first week I have my patients work on standing upright and moving around as normal.  An easy way to work on this is to lay flat on the floor with your knees flexed and then slowly straighten your legs.  Initially it isn't easy but after a few days of working on standing up straight the muscles and skin of the abdomen relax and allow normal activity and posture.  The lower back often aches for the first week and this goes away once normal posture is restored.  By 4 weeks your incisions should be well healed and will tolerate the extra tension when you stand upright.  It is important to work on this so that you get back to normal.  Of course you should always consult with your physician the recovery plan for you surgery

Jason E. Leedy, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Hello

+1

At 4 weeks post-surgery you should be walking straight up. If you’re feeling tightness you need to do it gradually little by little. Feeling your skin tight is normal after a tummy tuck it takes 6-9 months for the muscle and skin to relax you can message the area to loosen the scar tissue.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Standing straight after tummy tuck

+1

Usually, most patients are in a bent over position for the first week after a tummy tuck.  After one week, they can start to stand upright.  For some patients, getting fully upright can take some time.  By 4 weeks, your incision is well-healed and is strong enough to tolerate standing straight.

Naveen Setty, MD

4 week post tummy tuck

+1
  • It is very common to stay bent at the waist for the first week or so
  • Most patients are able to stand up straight after the first week
  • The healing areas should be strong enough to tolerate standing straight
  • You should be OK to start working on stretching and increasing your range of movement 

James Shaw, MD
Wichita Plastic Surgeon

Activity after Tummy Tuck Surgery; Walking Straight?

+1

Congratulations on having undergone the tummy tuck.

You will be much better off receiving advice from your plastic surgeon, as opposed to online consultants who do not know you or the details of the operation performed. Furthermore, none of us can know exactly how you are healing.  Remember, your plastic surgeon is ultimately responsible for your care.