My Vagina Doesn't Look Normal is There Loose Skin? (photo)

My lady area seems to look not normal as I'm scarred to have sex as I get uncomfortable on what they may say this may just be me? I would like to no if it is an normal looking vagina and If I have loose skin please be honest as I would like to know what is normal and if I'm just hiding away for no reason thank you for your help also my flaps look very not normal please take a look

Does my vagina look normal?

Your external genitalia appear absolutely normal, based on the photos that you submitted. There is such a large variation in external female genitalia and you fall within the normal range.  Despite this, some women are bothered, either physically or just don't like the appearance and feel uncomfortable with redundant labia minora (inner lips). Looking at the photos,  a labiaplasty would decrease the size of your labia minora and may make you feel more comfortable if it still bothers you.

The "normal" vagina.

As with most body parts, there is a great deal of anatomical variation when it comes to the female external genitalia.  With the proliferation of sexually explicit material, patients are now much more concerned about the appearance of their genitals.  This has led to an increase in the number of labiaplasty procedures in recent years. 

Based on your pictures it appears that your labia fall well within the "normal" range.  That does not mean, however, that you are not a good candidate for a labiaplasty procedure.  If you feel embarrassed or self conscious about your appearance, you should seek a consultation from a plastic surgeon who is experienced with labiaplasty procedures to express your concerns.   The surgery will not only give you more confidence, it can also improve symptoms of discomfort that you might be having.

Erik Miles, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Normal labia anatomy

Labia come in many different shapes and forms.  Please visit your gynecologist or a plastic surgeon who does labiaplasties. Below is a fully healed labiaplasty in a patient who felt her labia minora were too long.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Laser labiaplasty can remove loose labial skin and improve the appearance of the labia.

Thank you very much for your question and photographs.  The loose protruding skin that you see on your labia is quite common and does cause irritation when you wear tight fitting clothes and many women are embarrassed about large or labia.

Labiaplasty is in excellent and very helpful procedure that can remove the loose skin and make the labia looked much smaller and more normal.

Because the labia are so delicate I use a laser to remove the excess tissue and this avoids using a scalpel and traumatizing this very delicate tissue.

Please go to my photographs on Realself.com and you will be able to see 3 patient's before and after pictures of patients who had laser labioplasty.

Is this normal?

The bottom line is that your female parts are normal.   Based on the pictures you have sent you are absolutely 100% normal. 
The reason people elect to have cosmetic surgery for the most part is not because their anatomy is abnormal.   Anatomy is never black and white, there are so many variations to normal.
People choose elective surgery because they want to change a look and feel more empowered about themselves.

Enlarged Labia Minora

Dear BubblegumX, Thank you for posting your labia photographs with your question. After reviewing your photos, your labia minora appear normal, but may be larger than average and slightly asymmetric, with the left larger than the right labia minora. Your labia minora have have a characteristic textured surface, but can often be reduced to expose the underlying smoother inner labia minora. Remember that a labia reduction procedure is a personal decision and an elective procedure designed to reduce the size of your labia minora and increase your self confidence. Best wishes, Sincerely, Dr. Richard W. Swift

My Vagina Doesn't Look Normal

First of all it is important to understand that there is a wide range of “normal” when it comes how the labia should appear.

Women come to my office all the time wanting to look “normal” and we have to discuss what they are trying to achieve with their surgery.

You are well within the range of normal. There is currently a trend where woman do not like the appearance of the additional tissue that hangs below he vagina. At times this extra skin can interfere with intercourse or cause pain with exercise but most commonly it is just and aesthetic preference for woman.

Abnormal Labia

Thank you for your question, one that I get on a daily basis! Yes, you are correct, something doesn't look normal.  More importantly, it doesn't look normal to YOU.  It doesn't matter what I, or other physicians tell you, you will always feel uncomfortable in tight clothing and with intimacy.  I once saw a patient avoid sex for 30 years because her gynecologist told her that she was normal and made her feel ashamed for asking.  If you were my patient, I'd ask you: "How would you like to look like?", "What exactly are you unhappy with?". I would show you Before and After photos of other women with similar anatomy to yours so you can see what your options are and what you could potentially look like. As a board certified Urogynecologist and experienced Cosmetic Vaginal Surgeon I have performed over 1000 vaginal rejuvenation procedures on patients from all over the U.S. and the world. These procedures include labiaplasty of the labia minora, labiaplasty of the labia majora, clitoral hood reduction, perineoplasty, vaginoplasty, and revisions of botched labiaplasties. You should seek out the most experienced cosmetic vaginal surgeon in your area and if you can't find one then you should be willing to travel.  This is the most important decision of your life!

In these photos I don't see your vagina, but I do see large labia and hood.  Technically you have labial hypertrophy and asymmetry as well as bilateral redundant lateral prepuce which adds volume and length to your hood and labia.  I would recommend a clitoral hood reduction with possible lifting and laser reduction labaplasty of the labia minora.  A wedge resection of the labia minora would not address the redundant hood and thus lead to a suboptimal result. This would be performed in the privacy of my office under local anesthesia. 

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Englewood OB/GYN

Most everyone's labia minora are "normal" just like Noses!

labia minora  size shape and symmetry are as variable as the number of different shaped noses!  And most all are normal and functional.  However with that said, women desire labiaplasty or reduction in their labia minora for many reasons.  Some just don't like the appearance. Others are bothered by chaffing and irritation with intercourse, wearing tight clothing, or with exercising or putting pressure on their groin with activities like spinning/bike riding.  Other women have a combination issue... and have both symptoms and a problem with their appearance. 

Importantly help is available to provide you with the reduced labia minora size and provide symmetry and a relief of symptoms.  Speak to a plastic surgeon who is an expert in labiaplasty for the best results!  We sure to see his before and after photos to be sure you like what you see before committing.

I wish you the best!  

Steven Yarinsky, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Normal vaginal anatomy

Your vaginal region including the skin flaps (labia) appear normal.  If you are concerned with the degree of which they show, then a labiaplasty procedure can help you reduce the amount of labial show.  There is a wide variation in shape and size, and it is not uncommon for one to be larger than another.  If this continues to cause you a great deal of concern, I would recommend visiting a board certified plastic surgeon in your area.