My Vagina Doesn't Look Normal is There Loose Skin? (photo)

My lady area seems to look not normal as I'm scarred to have sex as I get uncomfortable on what they may say this may just be me? I would like to no if it is an normal looking vagina and If I have loose skin please be honest as I would like to know what is normal and if I'm just hiding away for no reason thank you for your help also my flaps look very not normal please take a look

Does my vagina look normal?

+6
Your external genitalia appear absolutely normal, based on the photos that you submitted. There is such a large variation in external female genitalia and you fall within the normal range.  Despite this, some women are bothered, either physically or just don't like the appearance and feel uncomfortable with redundant labia minora (inner lips). Looking at the photos,  a labiaplasty would decrease the size of your labia minora and may make you feel more comfortable if it still bothers you.

The "normal" vagina.

+4
As with most body parts, there is a great deal of anatomical variation when it comes to the female external genitalia.  With the proliferation of sexually explicit material, patients are now much more concerned about the appearance of their genitals.  This has led to an increase in the number of labiaplasty procedures in recent years. 

Based on your pictures it appears that your labia fall well within the "normal" range.  That does not mean, however, that you are not a good candidate for a labiaplasty procedure.  If you feel embarrassed or self conscious about your appearance, you should seek a consultation from a plastic surgeon who is experienced with labiaplasty procedures to express your concerns.   The surgery will not only give you more confidence, it can also improve symptoms of discomfort that you might be having.

Erik Miles, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Laser labiaplasty can remove loose labial skin and improve the appearance of the labia.

+4

Thank you very much for your question and photographs.  The loose protruding skin that you see on your labia is quite common and does cause irritation when you wear tight fitting clothes and many women are embarrassed about large or labia.

Labiaplasty is in excellent and very helpful procedure that can remove the loose skin and make the labia looked much smaller and more normal.

Because the labia are so delicate I use a laser to remove the excess tissue and this avoids using a scalpel and traumatizing this very delicate tissue.

Please go to my photographs on Realself.com and you will be able to see 3 patient's before and after pictures of patients who had laser labioplasty.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Labia appearance

+2
Your genitals look perfectly normal.  If you are uncomfortable with their appearance, you should consult with a plastic surgeon who performs labia surgery.  Your surgeon can outline your options.  But remember that the definition of normal comprises a wide range of appearance. So, while you may not like your appearance, you should be confident that it is normal. 

Mark P. Solomon, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Normal labia anatomy

+2
Labia come in many different shapes and forms.  Please visit your gynecologist or a plastic surgeon who does labiaplasties. Below is a fully healed labiaplasty in a patient who felt her labia minora were too long.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Labia

+2
Your inner lips on the last picture appear to be different sizes which can lead to symptoms in a diverted urine stream in some cases.  If you are uncomfortable with the size of your inner labia, there is a simple procedure called labiaplasty to trim them and make them more even.  You can take a look at pre and post op photos here and on our websites.

Susan Kolb, MD

My Vagina Doesn't Look Normal

+2
First of all it is important to understand that there is a wide range of “normal” when it comes how the labia should appear.

Women come to my office all the time wanting to look “normal” and we have to discuss what they are trying to achieve with their surgery.

You are well within the range of normal. There is currently a trend where woman do not like the appearance of the additional tissue that hangs below he vagina. At times this extra skin can interfere with intercourse or cause pain with exercise but most commonly it is just and aesthetic preference for woman.

Johnny Franco, MD

Is my vagina normal?

+2
Your labia minora (the inside skin flaps) look completely normal.  There is a huge variety in how women's labia look, and usually one side is longer than the other.  That being said, many women choose to have a minor procedure to trim this tissue so that it is not so long because they are either physically or emotionally uncomfortable with it (often both).   I perform labiaplasty surgery primarily under local anesthesia, and my patients tolerate this very well and are usually surprised that it is not particularly uncomfortable.

The bottom line is - the photos look normal.  If you don't have any physical problems and your primary care doctor/gynecologist feels everything is normal on examination - don't worry!   Surgery is only an option for women who understand the risks and want to change the way they look because they feel that they will be more comfortable or confident if some of the tissue is removed.  

Dr. Michelle Spring 

Michelle Spring, MD

Enlarged Labia

+1
There are huge variations in what is considered "normal". Your genital area looks normal however, it does seem you have enlarged labia. This can cause embarrassment and discomfort when wearing particular types of clothes. Labiaplasty can definitely help to reduce their size.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Labiaplasty

+1

Based on these photos, it does appear that you have some excess of your labia minora, which is the inner fold or "lip" that surrounds the opening to the vagina. A labiaplasty is the procedure that would be used to correct this problem. There are different techniques so be sure to do your research and be careful about techniques that could, if overdone, result in "amputation" of the entire labia minora.

Joseph Fata, MD