My Vagina Doesn't Look Normal is There Loose Skin? (photo)

My lady area seems to look not normal as I'm scarred to have sex as I get uncomfortable on what they may say this may just be me? I would like to no if it is an normal looking vagina and If I have loose skin please be honest as I would like to know what is normal and if I'm just hiding away for no reason thank you for your help also my flaps look very not normal please take a look

Does my vagina look normal?

Your external genitalia appear absolutely normal, based on the photos that you submitted. There is such a large variation in external female genitalia and you fall within the normal range.  Despite this, some women are bothered, either physically or just don't like the appearance and feel uncomfortable with redundant labia minora (inner lips). Looking at the photos,  a labiaplasty would decrease the size of your labia minora and may make you feel more comfortable if it still bothers you.

The "normal" vagina.

As with most body parts, there is a great deal of anatomical variation when it comes to the female external genitalia.  With the proliferation of sexually explicit material, patients are now much more concerned about the appearance of their genitals.  This has led to an increase in the number of labiaplasty procedures in recent years. 

Based on your pictures it appears that your labia fall well within the "normal" range.  That does not mean, however, that you are not a good candidate for a labiaplasty procedure.  If you feel embarrassed or self conscious about your appearance, you should seek a consultation from a plastic surgeon who is experienced with labiaplasty procedures to express your concerns.   The surgery will not only give you more confidence, it can also improve symptoms of discomfort that you might be having.

Erik Miles, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Normal labia anatomy

Labia come in many different shapes and forms.  Please visit your gynecologist or a plastic surgeon who does labiaplasties. Below is a fully healed labiaplasty in a patient who felt her labia minora were too long.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

My Vagina Doesn't Look Normal

First of all it is important to understand that there is a wide range of “normal” when it comes how the labia should appear.

Women come to my office all the time wanting to look “normal” and we have to discuss what they are trying to achieve with their surgery.

You are well within the range of normal. There is currently a trend where woman do not like the appearance of the additional tissue that hangs below he vagina. At times this extra skin can interfere with intercourse or cause pain with exercise but most commonly it is just and aesthetic preference for woman.

Laser labiaplasty can remove loose labial skin and improve the appearance of the labia.

Thank you very much for your question and photographs.  The loose protruding skin that you see on your labia is quite common and does cause irritation when you wear tight fitting clothes and many women are embarrassed about large or labia.

Labiaplasty is in excellent and very helpful procedure that can remove the loose skin and make the labia looked much smaller and more normal.

Because the labia are so delicate I use a laser to remove the excess tissue and this avoids using a scalpel and traumatizing this very delicate tissue.

Please go to my photographs on Realself.com and you will be able to see 3 patient's before and after pictures of patients who had laser labioplasty.

Labiaplasty

There is such a large variation of the appearance of the external female anatomy, so there really is no "normal". It seems you have a little extra tissue of the labia minora and the prepuce of the clitoral hood. All amenable to labiaplasty, but not necessary at all if you don't want surgery! Good luck.

Jennifer L. Walden, MD

Enlarged Labia Minora

Dear BubblegumX, Thank you for posting your labia photographs with your question. After reviewing your photos, your labia minora appear normal, but may be larger than average and slightly asymmetric, with the left larger than the right labia minora. Your labia minora have have a characteristic textured surface, but can often be reduced to expose the underlying smoother inner labia minora. Remember that a labia reduction procedure is a personal decision and an elective procedure designed to reduce the size of your labia minora and increase your self confidence. Best wishes, Sincerely, Dr. Richard W. Swift

Vagina Labia Appearance

The photos here show a normal variation of the appearance of the labia. Ideally one would like to see the labia minora (inner lips) slightly smaller so that they are better "protected" by the labia majora.

Some women who have larger labia minora have concerns about their appearance and sometimes issues with irritation. A procedure known as a labiaplasty can decrease the size of the labia minora. A nonsurgical option is also available. For more information about labia reduction check out the web link below.

Alexander G. Nein, MD

My Vagina Doesn't Look Normal is There Loose Skin?

Thank you for your question and photographs.  There is a wide variation in the size and appearance of a women's anatomy, and your vagina falls well within normal.  Some women may have, or develop, enlarged or asymmetrical labia that can make exercise, sexual intercourse, or wearing certain types of clothing difficult.  A labiaplasty allows for a reduction in the size of the labia, while also making a more symmetrical pairing.  Hope this helps

What's "normal" when it comes to female genitalia?

There is such a variation in what the female external genitalia can look like, it's amazing. Nowadays with brazilian waxes popular, people are seeing what it looks like "down there" more than before. In any case, I'm glad that there is forum where someone like you who is uncomfortable about this, can ask questions, and hopefully be reassured that what you see if "normal." The "labiaplasty" procedure is a good procedure that can be done under local numbing medicine only, and can help decrease the amount of extra skin present, so that you can fit into clothes better, and hopefully feel more confident about yourself and your body. 

Emily Hu, MD