My Vagina Doesn't Look Normal is There Loose Skin? (photo)

My lady area seems to look not normal as I'm scarred to have sex as I get uncomfortable on what they may say this may just be me? I would like to no if it is an normal looking vagina and If I have loose skin please be honest as I would like to know what is normal and if I'm just hiding away for no reason thank you for your help also my flaps look very not normal please take a look

Does my vagina look normal?

+3
Your external genitalia appear absolutely normal, based on the photos that you submitted. There is such a large variation in external female genitalia and you fall within the normal range.  Despite this, some women are bothered, either physically or just don't like the appearance and feel uncomfortable with redundant labia minora (inner lips). Looking at the photos,  a labiaplasty would decrease the size of your labia minora and may make you feel more comfortable if it still bothers you.

Laser labiaplasty can remove loose labial skin and improve the appearance of the labia.

+3

Thank you very much for your question and photographs.  The loose protruding skin that you see on your labia is quite common and does cause irritation when you wear tight fitting clothes and many women are embarrassed about large or labia.

Labiaplasty is in excellent and very helpful procedure that can remove the loose skin and make the labia looked much smaller and more normal.

Because the labia are so delicate I use a laser to remove the excess tissue and this avoids using a scalpel and traumatizing this very delicate tissue.

Please go to my photographs on Realself.com and you will be able to see 3 patient's before and after pictures of patients who had laser labioplasty.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

My Vagina Doesn't Look Normal

+1
First of all it is important to understand that there is a wide range of “normal” when it comes how the labia should appear.

Women come to my office all the time wanting to look “normal” and we have to discuss what they are trying to achieve with their surgery.

You are well within the range of normal. There is currently a trend where woman do not like the appearance of the additional tissue that hangs below he vagina. At times this extra skin can interfere with intercourse or cause pain with exercise but most commonly it is just and aesthetic preference for woman.

Is my vagina normal?

+1
Your labia minora (the inside skin flaps) look completely normal.  There is a huge variety in how women's labia look, and usually one side is longer than the other.  That being said, many women choose to have a minor procedure to trim this tissue so that it is not so long because they are either physically or emotionally uncomfortable with it (often both).   I perform labiaplasty surgery primarily under local anesthesia, and my patients tolerate this very well and are usually surprised that it is not particularly uncomfortable.

The bottom line is - the photos look normal.  If you don't have any physical problems and your primary care doctor/gynecologist feels everything is normal on examination - don't worry!   Surgery is only an option for women who understand the risks and want to change the way they look because they feel that they will be more comfortable or confident if some of the tissue is removed.  

Dr. Michelle Spring 

Michelle Spring, MD

Does this look normal

+1
Thank you for your question. Your external genitalia looks fairly normal, albeit from limited pictures. If you are able to do all the human functions without problems then there is no problem. If you are having feelings, however, that are preventing you from performing intimate activities with people you care about, then maybe there is something that can be done. See, it is all about how YOU feel. Find a Board-certified plastic and reconstructive surgeon who does this operation, the labiaplasty, often. Have a sincere conversation about all the risks, benefits, and alternatives, and make a good decision that is based in knowledge and sound advice. Good luck and fare well. 

Daniel Kaufman, MD

Enlarged Labia

+1
There are huge variations in what is considered "normal". Your genital area looks normal however, it does seem you have enlarged labia. This can cause embarrassment and discomfort when wearing particular types of clothes. Labiaplasty can definitely help to reduce their size.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Labiaplasty

+1

Based on these photos, it does appear that you have some excess of your labia minora, which is the inner fold or "lip" that surrounds the opening to the vagina. A labiaplasty is the procedure that would be used to correct this problem. There are different techniques so be sure to do your research and be careful about techniques that could, if overdone, result in "amputation" of the entire labia minora.

Joseph Fata, MD

My Vagina Doesn't Look Normal is There Loose Skin?

+1

If you feel that the area has too much tissue, then this area can certainly be reduced.  The labia minora reduction will produce a major change in your contour and will do the most to get you to your goals.   Find a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in these procedures.                                                                                                         Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Loss of volume in labia.

+1

Many women have loss of volume in the labia majora and labia minora.  The majora are the outer skin and minor, the thinner skin medially.  There are many reasons these changes develop including loss of weight, after giving birth, hormonal fluctuations, possibly excessive exercise or straining or it may be congenital.  Sometimes this excess skin causes irritation to the area, problems urinating, embarrassment, discomfort with intercourse or problems with underwear or gym clothing.  The procedure to decrease the size of the labiaminora is called a labiaplasty.  I would recommend a fat transfer to the labia majora to give more volume.  Both of these procedures may be done while you are awake with local anesthesia.  Patients are very happy with the results.  Thank you.

Nana Mizuguchi, MD

Loose vaginal skin

+1

Although there is a wide variety of appearances to the female external genitalia, many women with your anatomy feel the same and seek labiaplasty surgery.  Labiaplasty reduces overgrown, extra long, and/or redundant labia minora (or labia majora occasionally) tissue.  It is a relatively straight forward and safe surgery with a quick recovery and very high satisfaction rate.  For the best result, I recommend you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes in this procedure.  Glad to help... 

Ryan Stanton, MD