​ ​Is it a good idea to do the Tummy Tuck and remove my uterus at the same time? (photo)

I am 34 years old mother od 2 boys. In the past year I lost 60 lbs I am 5.5 168lbs I am diabetic but off my insulin and all the meds. I am very active doing over 20000 steps a day plus I exercise 6 times a week I have no other medical issues

Is it a good idea to do the Tummy Tuck and remove my uterus at the same time? 

Tummy tuck and hysterectomy.

+1
You will get different opinions about this question. My opinion is that it is not the best time to perform a cosmetic procedure.
Here is my reasoning.
  1. When they are removing your uterus the most likely will be inside your abdomen in your pelvis where is not the cleanest environment. 
  2. There can be a lot of blood loss from the hysterectomy. That may make the subsequent tummy tuck unsafe. 
  3. With two major procedures one in your abdomen one on top of your abdomen you can be at higher risk for a blood clot (DVT). 
It is best to break these procedures up to be done at different times. The medical procedure done first followed by the cosmetic procedure.

Good luck.

Earl Stephenson Jr MD DDS FACS

Combined procedures

+1
Thank you for the picture.

The answer is Yes.

I normally work with a Gynecologist when it comes to these cases, she starts with the procedure and then I follow after she's done. Of course you would have to be in excellent health and comply with all the requirements.

Dr. Campos

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck abdominoplasty hysterectomy combined procedures surgery after massive weight loss

+1
Yes. Congratulations on your significant massive weight loss. I would combine the procedures. The benefits of combining the procedures are one surgery, one anesthesia, and one recovery. The recovery period is not significantly longer by combining the tummy tuck and hysterectomy.
The risks include a slightly longer procedure and slightly more blood loss during one procedure. 
I believe, the benefits outweigh the risks. I would proceed with getting the tummy tuck and removal of uterus done at the same time

J. Timothy Katzen, MD, FACS

​ ​Is it a good idea to do the Tummy Tuck and remove my uterus at the same time?

+1
This question of combination surgeries - TT + Hysterectomy comes up every few months. YES! It can be combined but you need a cooperative PS + GYN, able to understand there is an increased risk of severe complications (bleeding, longer recovery,pulmonary issues, act). Finally the costs are also important to add in.. 

Tummy Tuck and Simultaneous Hysterectomy

+1
This is a good question; you can have the 2 procedures done at the same time but the issue is should you have the 2 procedures done at the same time. If your doctor thinks this is going to be a complicated hysterectomy then it should be done alone. Otherwise if the hysterectomy is for benign reasons and can be done in a timely manner I would consider performing an abdominoplasty at the same time.  You are at slightly higher risk for wound healing issues because of your history of diabetes and your cosmetic result will be better if you are closer to your ideal body weight at the time of your abdominoplasty. Good luck with your decision!

Mark Deutsch, MD

Risk factors to consider combining a hysterectomy and an abdominoplasty

+1
Combining these two procedures certainly can be done safely.  There is an increased risk of infection when combining an abdominoplasty with a hysterectomy.  

Combining tummytucks and hysterectomies.

+1
Thanks for the question.  As you can see from the answers from very good Plastic Surgeons, there is some controversy as to whether this can be done as a combined procedure or not.  Our experiences oftentimes are very different, thus encouraging a physician to answer your question in a certain way.  In my practice I have been working with Gynecologists in my community for more than twenty years combining these procedures with great success.  In fact in the last month I have performed this surgery  several times.  The evaluation of each patient's condition and potential to have this surgery is critical, however, and you must always follow the advice and guidance of your local physicians who know you well( medically speaking) before you would embark on this surgery  This is an area where second opinions may be of great help to you. You should always use physicians who have a great deal of experience in performing these procedures if you choose to  consider this combination, however.

Good luck to you.

Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Francis (Frank) William Rieger, MD

Tummy tuck and hysterectomy at the same time

+1
I have done several procedures whereby a patient had intra-abdominal organs, specifically gallbladders and or uterus, performed while closer was done as an abdominoplasty.  Results are generally excellent.  To be sure, both doctors should be in agreement that this is advisable, as well as the plastic surgeon should plan the incisions and open for the general or gynecologic surgeon, and then complete the closure once the procedure is done.  The results, however, can be very gratifying and all accomplished in a single hospital stay.

Scott Wells, MD

+1
You are a good candidate for a tummy tuck. Combination procedures are done frequently such as combining breast and tummy or tummy and BBL etc...
However, I do not like combining tummy tuck and hysterectomy. This surgery is associated with more potential complications and prolonged recovery. Vein clots "DVT"  is another major concern. Not to mention yourself being diabetic on insulin despite being active. Wound healing can be another issue. I recommend staging your procedures. 

Maan Kattash, MD, FRCS

Combined surgical procedures with GYN procedures

+1
This is never a good idea to combine this type of surgery with a cosmetic procedure because of the increased risks of bleeding and infections.  I would have them done separately. Good luck.

John D. Smoot, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon