Can my Upturned Nose Be Fixed? (photo)

My nose is flat and very upturned and the tip is bigger than I would like. Is there a way to fix my upturned nose and narrow the tip?

Can my Upturned Nose Be Fixed?

+1

Dear k0617,

Thank you for your question and photos.  An upturned nose is about degree of rotation of the tip.  You tip is over-rotated a little.  I see this commonly in patients who have had a rhinoplasty that they would like revised because they feel like they have a 'piggy nose'.  This is from 'over rotation' of the tip.  In correcting this, the tip is then rotated back down to a more 'natural' position.  This can be done in your case as well, but needs to be done very carefully.  All aspects of the tip need to be addressed to look natural including the definition of the tip, and the columella show.  Sometimes a strut needs to be placed to be able to do this.  It is hard to know without a physical exam.  It is possible, but find a surgeon who has a lot of experience doing this to get the best result.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Shortened nose

+1

Lengthening a nose that is too short is difficult and unpredictable. It often requires cartilage and mucosal grafting. I am assuming you have not had prior surgery. Dropping the tip of your nose is not something I would advise. The chances of success are small, I don't care what anyone else tells you. There are plenty of surgeons willing to give it a try whether they have done it before or not. Ask to see photos of similar cases before agreeing to the procedure.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Rhinoplasty for upturned nose

+1

Your upturned nose can be improved with a rhinoplasty that enlogates your nose by using your own septum cartilage, in addition the tip will be refined and the dorsum will be rebuild.

Jhonny Salomon, MD

Upturned Nose

+1

The answer to your question is yes. What you are referring to is "derotating" your nose and refining the tip. Standard of care would be to do both procedures at the same time. A rhinoplasty would be required to reshape the cartilages of the nose and possibly require grafts to lengthen. This could be done under local, IV or general anesthesia. Let me know if you would like more information.

Take care,

Dr. Dominic

Dominic Castellano, MD
Tampa Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fixing Upturned Nose

+1

Your Upturned nose will need to be lengthen which will require cartilage grafts. Select an experienced surgeon because this is is a challenging procedure. The tip can be refined at the same time.

How you can fix your upturned nose

+1

It is possible to bring down your tip so it isn't so upturned. This is a fairly complex maneuver so you want to make sure you find a surgeon who is comfortable with this type of treatment.

You can find out what goes into fixing an over rotated nose at my web reference link below.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Upturned nose and thick tip

+1

It is quite possible to lower the upturned nose, but there definitely will be limitations in thinning the tip due to the thick skin envelope.

Short nose

+1

Lenthening of the nose is a somewhat difficult procedure.  If you have never had previous surgery you have a better chance of success.  It requires cartilage grafting to lengthen the nose.  Narrowing of the tip is more straight forward.  See a board certified surgeon for evaluation.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Rhinoplasty for the short nose and bulbous tip.

+1

Rhinoplasty for the short nose and bulbous tip is an advanced procedure and you need to see a very experienced rhinoplasty surgeon. Narrowing the tip causes increased rotation so the surgeon must know how to prevent this as well as lengthening the septum.