My Upper Porcelain Crown Chipped After Many Yrs of No Problem?

The lower crown is porcelain in the front & metal in the back, whereas my upper chipped porcelain crown is all porcelain .... Could the metal on the bottom crown have caused the upper porcelain to chip.... My dentist says he can't repair it.... Isn't there some other way of repairing besides grinding on the porcelain ?

Crown has a chip?

+1

So long as the tooth under the crown is fine and your not bothered by the cosmetics you could leave as is...You can always repair however the repairs usually don't hold to long and may be a waste of money... If you have had the crown for many years I think perhaps just having a new one made makes the most sense. Good Luck Kevin Coughlin DMD, MBA, MAGD     CEO Baystate Dental PC.

Springfield Cosmetic Dentist

Porcelain does chip after years of wear...

+1

Hi Bonnie...am so sorry to hear about your crown chipping. Your lower crown did not cause this problem.  It could be do to your bite, which, for some reason, is a little off. Also procelain is not going to last you a life time. If it is chipped in an area where it can be easily bonded, you can try this before replacing it with a new cown. Like any other medical procedure, from hip implants to tooth restorations, they wear out and will not last you a lifetime. I would check first to see if my bite is correct before I would try to repair or replace it!  Good luck!

Valencia Cosmetic Dentist

Any porcelain crown has the possibility of chipping

+1

No, the metal in the back of the lower crown did not cause the chip on the upper. Depending on the material and on where the chip occurred, it may be possible to repair it. If it is involving any of the edge, the chances of a succesfull repair are low. This also depends of the bite relationship. Porcelain can be etched and bonded with composite resin. In the end, the best is to have it re-done so you don't have to worry about the repair chipping during an important meeting.

Some older no-metal porcelain crowns have a bad reputation for chipping (procera, inceram and some zirconia). E-max crowns seem to be very strong but only time will tell if they chip less. The lab used also has a lot to do with it.

Good luck

Dr.T

Miami Beach Cosmetic Dentist

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.