Was my Untidy Uplift Scar Unavoidable?

I had a BA and uplift to correct asmmetry almost a year ago. I complained to my surgeon that I had a section of nipple left beneath the uplift scar. I was told that this is necessary for uplift procedures so that the surgeon has room to close the incision. I have not seen this in most uplift images. Is this statement true?

Appearance of Breast Lift Scars

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

What you have described as "untidy" is often necessary during breast lifting surgery.  As you know, the pigmented skin along the vertical scar is residual areolar skin. Sometimes during breast lifting surgery, it is necessary to leave this pigmented skin along the incision line in order to achieve an aesthetically pleasing result; if your surgeon had tried to remove all of the areolar skin, you may have been left with significant distortion of your breast shape.  It may be possible to revise this area and excise the pigmented skin in the future.

Mastopexy scar

+1
This small amount of areola can be removed 3-6 months postoperatively once the skin relaxes. This can usually be done in the office under local anesthesia.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Untidy uplift scar

+1

The small brown spot below your areola is completely understandable and sometimes unavoidable. During a breast lift procedure the skin around the areola is reduced and moves around, usually lower. Depending on the size of your original areola not all of the extra pigmented skin can be removed. This results in a little bit being left behind exactly where you see it, Once the skin has loosened up, usually this skin can be removed as a minor procedure.

Ronald Schuster, MD