Why Do my Tummy Tuck Results Keep Getting Worse?

I had a tt with muscle repair 5 months ago. I've tried being patient to see the final results but my stomach seems to be slowly going back to the way it was before my tt. I am 5'8'' and weigh 125 pounds so I am not overweight and my weight is very consistent. I have to suck in my stomach and hide it with baggy clothes. Why is this happening? It was very flat to begin with and now there is a large bulge--not fat or skin--but my muscles sticking out. I had severe muscle separation before the tt.

+1

Based only upon your written description without posting any photos of your issues I recommend in person second opinions to answer these serious issues. 

Tummy Tuck Results

+1

Without before and after pictures, it is impossible to give you specific advice.  Also, without knowing exactly what procedure was performed, it is difficult to give you recommendations.  For instance, if they did not perform a midline plication, then you may still have roundness from a diastasis.  If you have fluid collection for a seroma, this may also be causing the abdomen to look larger.  If this is the case, it can usually be treated easily in the office.  The best advice is for you to see your surgeon and follow up with your questions.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Dissatisified with tummy tuck repair

+1
I'm sorry to hear that the operation hasn't turned out as expected. There may be a problem with the abdominal wall muscle and a question as to why the sutures are not holding. GIven that you had a severe diastasis before the surgery, you may have intrinsically weak musculature or the muscle suturing has failed for some reason. The first step would be to return to your plastic surgeon for evaluation as examination alone may disclose the reason for this problem or it is possible that he may send you for an MRI to better elucidate the situation. Best of luck.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Worstening Of Tummy Tuck Results?

+1

Thank you for the question. I'm sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction with the tummy tuck results.

Although difficult to give you precise advice without examining you are looking at before and after pictures,  it may be that the abdominal wall muscle “repair” is not holding.  Based on your description of having a “large bulge” it is very likely that part or all of the muscle plication has failed.

Assuming your  surgeon is a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon,  I would suggest that you  follow up with him/her.  Direct examination should allow making the diagnosis  and treatment plan precisely.

I would also be happy to view pictures via e-mail if you wish.  The most helpful pictures are side  and “diving position” views.

It sounds like the abdominal wall tightening is weakening

+1

I would upload some photos straight on and side view to allow for more accurate advice, but it sounds like your abdominal wall repair (muscle tightening) is loosening up.  This can occur for a number of different reasons including the suture breaking, the suture cutting into the tissue, or the suture dissolving (if dissolvable suture was used).  Have your plastic surgeon take a look, unfortunately the only way to repair the muscle tightening is to go back in there and re-tighten the abdominal wall.  

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Concerned about tt results

+1

It's difficult to say without seeing a photo. WHich area sticks out? If it is the upper tummy it may be because the lower half was tightened more than the upper half. So if your muscles were very separated like you say, the increased pressure from the bottom got transferred up to the top. Maybe the tightening was done with suture that dissolved too quickly or only one layer was placed.

Finally, if you had any bad coughing, sneezing, or vomiting episodes, the sutures may have broken. Check with your surgeon.

Ronald Schuster, MD