Why is my Tummy Tuck Result So Poor? (photo)

I am 37 years old, in good health...5'8" 153 lbs. I had a full mommy makeover, including breast lift and aug, extended tummy tuck, and 2 hours of lipo. I still have a fat, loose, flabby tummy, and loose, flabby love handles. I am very disappointed. The doctor has offered cool sculpting to the tummy, but I would really like the love handles done also before i consider having a surgical revision. Why is my result so poor?

Poor results after abdominoplasty?

+2

You contours are smooth and your skin is tight, but you have residual fullness below the belly button.  This may be due to excess fat or to lax abdominal muscles.  If the muscles were tightened during the procedure it may be possible to flatten your abdominal contour with some abdominal muscle exercises.  Ask your surgeon what else might be done: liposuction; muscle tightening; exercise.

Concern with your results

+2

Thank you for posting your photos.  It does appear that you've had a good result in your anterior tummy from your extended tummy tuck.   I do see your area of concern.    I'm not sure exactly what technique was utilized with your tummy tuck procedure.   I would recommend you calmly present your concerns to your PS and explore your options.   You may need additional procedure(s) to contour your waists.  

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck results after mommy makeover

+2

Thanks for your question and pictures.  I am sorry to hear that you are not satisfied with your results.  It does appear that you had significant improvement in your contour.  It does appear that you still have some loose skin in the love handle region.  You may benefit from further excision but I would try and wait until 6 months.  CoolSculpting alone may not be enough.  Good luck!

Naveen Setty, MD

Why is my Tummy Tuck Result So Poor?

+2

I do not think the result is poor, and your overall contour is much improved.  You have a nice low scar, and you still have some swelling.  There are a multitude of factors involved here, but I would not let someone talk you into a revision until at least 6 months.  I think you can have more fat removed from your flanks, but the other issues will require more time to firm up on a decision.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Your Tummy Tuck Surgery

+1

It’s important to realize that every surgical procedure has limitations. We occasionally see patients who are unhappy following surgery when their expectations exceed their procedures ability to deliver a result.

In your case, I feel the results of your abdominoplasty are reasonable. It appears that weakened muscles, stretch marks, and loose saggy abdominal skin are all significantly better following this procedure.

Unfortunately, many patients who undergo abdominoplasty for loose saggy skin have a lower abdominal roll that extends backwards to the midline of the back. This roll can only be partially addressed during tummy tuck surgery. Your surgeon extended the incision posteriorly in an effort to minimize this problem. Under these circumstances, a transition zone will always exist between the flat abdomen and the back roll of fat and skin.

The only way to effectively address this problem is with additional surgery. In some cases, liposuction alone may be adequate but in the majority of patients the excess fat and skin will require surgical excision.

If you’re bothered by this problem, consultation with your surgeon is appropriate. Revisional surgery may be necessary but should be delayed for at least six months. Your surgeon should be able to formulate a treatment plan that addresses your concerns.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Mommy makeover results

+1

It's hard to say without examining you, but you should voice your concerns to your plastic surgeon or seek out a second opinion of another board certified plastic surgeon.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD

+1

The meeting of your realistic expectations and the seen results are hard to achieve. Yes you have a nice change but not to your satisfaction. Only further revision + lipo can help. But you may NEVER achieve your desired results. 

Abdominoplasty results

+1

Hi TheRealMe2013

It appears that you still have some swelling within the operated areas, and that is reasonable at 3 months. However, it does also look like more fat and skin could have been removed.

Your lateral (side on) view shows a relatively young scar, so it looks like you are still in the recovery period. Whilst liposuction or CoolSculpt might help, I think it is likely that you will also need some extra skin removed as part of the process.

Good Luck

Dr Gavin Sandercoe

Gavin Sandercoe, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty results not as expected

+1

It appears that you have some central fullness and redundant skin of the lateral hip/flank area.  The central fullness may settle down over the next 3 months.  The lateral skin may get better as well in not then you may need a skin only revision in this area. 

Laser Liposuction for more sculpting after a tummy tuck

+1

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photos.  In my opinion, you will greatly benefit from extensive Laser Liposuction of the abdomen, flanks and back after your tummy tuck.  I don't think cool sculpting is adequate.  

Melinda Lirag Lacerna-Kimbrell, MD, FACS
Sarasota Plastic Surgeon