During my Tummy Tuck my Doctor Sutured my Skin to my Fascia So the Scar Would Not Slide Up, is This Normal?

Will I have any side affects or difficulty with this? I am a very active person.

Progressive Tension Sutures in abdominoplasty

+1

The use of progressive tension sutures, which anchor the underside of the skin flap to the fascia on the muscle, is a well-established technique and a good idea. It iminimzes the amount of drainage so drain tubes can come out earlier, and prevents the scar from pulling up or widening. See the link below for a summary of an article I wrote on the subject.

Is stitching the Tummy Tuck Skin to the Fascia an Acceptable Way to Prevent Scar Migration?

+1

Anchoring the fat UNDER the skin to the tummy muscle lining (fascia) to prevent pulling, migration and visibility of the Tummy Tuck scar and pubic area is definitely an accepted technique. It should NOT result in any difficulties.

Peter A Aldea, MD
Memphis, TN