During my Tummy Tuck my Doctor Sutured my Skin to my Fascia So the Scar Would Not Slide Up, is This Normal?

Will I have any side affects or difficulty with this? I am a very active person.

Anchoring sutures

+1
Thank you for your post.  It is not common for surgeons to anchor the lower incision to the fascia or covering of the abdominal muscles to keep the scar low, however, I do use this technique and agree with it.  All the tension on the incision is from above, not below, and thus the scar tends to move toward the area of maximal tension.  This moves the scar higher than desired.  I like to keep my scars very low, and feel that anchoring the scar helps accomplish this. The following photo is an example of this.

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Progressive Tension Sutures in abdominoplasty

+1

The use of progressive tension sutures, which anchor the underside of the skin flap to the fascia on the muscle, is a well-established technique and a good idea. It iminimzes the amount of drainage so drain tubes can come out earlier, and prevents the scar from pulling up or widening. See the link below for a summary of an article I wrote on the subject.

Richard Baxter, MD

Is stitching the Tummy Tuck Skin to the Fascia an Acceptable Way to Prevent Scar Migration?

+1

Anchoring the fat UNDER the skin to the tummy muscle lining (fascia) to prevent pulling, migration and visibility of the Tummy Tuck scar and pubic area is definitely an accepted technique. It should NOT result in any difficulties.

Peter A Aldea, MD
Memphis, TN