Puffy and Ridge in Pubic Area After Tummy Tuck

My TT incision is very low (right on my pubic hairline). I have a "ridge and my pubic area looks puffy. its been 3 weeks. Will this ridge really go away. its totally raised off my skin. im so upset!

Swelling after tummy tuck

+3

Thanks for the question.

Post-op swelling after a tummy tuck is still largely present at only three weeks post-op. Swelling occurs as part of your body's natural response to trauma. (Yes, surgery is controlled trauma!) Your body has an impaired ability to resolve this swelling because of the divided lymphatics.

Your surgeon may have used drains for the first week or two to collect fluid accumulating under the abdominoplasty flaps.

Most of this swelling should go away at 6 - 8 weeks.

If the swelling persists it may represent an organized seroma (fluid collection) that will need to be drained, a disruption in the rectus muscle plication or excess fat that might need liposuction.

Time is your friend right now. Be sure to discuss the concerns with your plastic surgeon and have regular follow-up.

Very common to have ridge after Tummy Tuck

+3

In all likelihood, this will resolve.

However, there are conditions which can make this work. I have found that when patients wear garments or binders which fold or kink, especially when sitting, it can make the pubic selling worse due to a tourniquet-like effect.

It is similar to when you wear tight stocklings and your ankles swell.

Give yourself time to heal from Tummy Tuck

+2

Don't worry and give yourself time to heal. It takes a bit longer then 3 weeks for all the swelling to go away after a tummy tuck. Since you are standing, a lot of the swelling will go into your mons area. If this does not improve in another couple of weeks, ask your doctor about it. 

Kari L. Colen, MD

Tummy tuck and ridge

+2

The incision at the border of the pubic hairline  is a good place for the incision. SInce you are only 3 weeks out form surgery, it is most likely due to swelling, and you have to give it a few months to soften up.

Three weeks after Tummy Tuck still early for results

+2

Three weeks is still early following a Tummy Tuck. A Tummy Tuck incision at the pubic hair line or little below is ok. It is hard to comment on the ridge without seeing it. As long as both skin edges are opposed, you will heal well.

I would discuss all these issues with your plastic surgeon he will be able to give you all the correct info.

Hope that helps!

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Bulging in the pubic area after a tummy tuck

+1

Tummy tucks are a very popular and effective technique to contour the abdomen. In our practice, patients request a very low abdominal scar so that they can wear small bikinis and the low-cut jeans that are so popular here in South Florida. We always let our patients know that the lower the scar is on your pubis, the greater the chance that you may have prolonged swelling in this area. The pubic region is very dependent on lymphatic drainage to remove excess fluid. After a tummy tuck, some of the lymphatic system may be disrupted. In our practice, we provide our patients with two compression garments that specifically apply pressure to this area. This will allow the swelling to resolve more quickly and will provide support to increase the patient's comfort.

To learn more about tummy tucks, see photos, and help you decide which one is best for you, please visit us at the link below:

Pat Pazmino, MD