Why did my TT drains came out on their own today, 8 days post op? (photo)

They were killing me the last few days but was hopeful that they would be removed this Monday at my 1st post op appt. Last night 1 stitch came away from the skin and by the morning the drain was out several inches. Dr had advised to pull the rest out, pack with bacitracin and cover. A short time later the other one started doing the same thing & while waiting for the dr to call back, it completely fell out. Using maxi pads and bacitracin because the holes are still draining. Why did this happen? They've been draining @ 38 cc total on average for the last few days.

Drains came out on their own

+2

When drains come out on their own it is because the sutures that hold them come loose or that there is too much space between the skin and the suture itself. The fact that they were in place for a week means that you will probably do fine. keep your appointment with your surgeon.

Drains fell out

+1

This occurs from time to time with drains. Reasons that they fall out too early are either 1) the drain was not secured tight enough with the stitch or 2) there was too much space between the stitch and your skin so that something can get under the stitch and inadvertently the drain gets pulled.

This is one of the reasons I no longer use drains with my tummy tucks and perform a drain-less tummy tuck.

At 8 days post op and with the amount of drainage that you describe it sounds like it was time for them to come out anyhow. However, it is of course best to follow up with your surgeon as soon as they suggest. Hope this helps.

Luis H. Macias, MD

Tummy Tuck Drains

+1

Thank you for your question. A personal exam and consultation is always best.

That said you need to be examined by your surgeon. You do not want to risk infection.

Be sure to consult a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, experienced in your procedure, and who has an excellent reputation in your community.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS