I Have my TT and Lipo Scheduled for a Week from Today! I Am Only Taking a Week off of Work. Am I Going to Be Okay?

5'3" , 145 lbs mom of 3

Plan for 2 , hope for 1

+2

To be truly comfortable you would be better off with 2 weeks. If you have a very light  intensity job you may be able to get by with one week. 

It is easy for the surgeon to say one week is ok , after surgery you may still be off for 2 or more weeks depending on how you do.

In actual fact once the surgery is preformed you will be off as long as it takes.

Arlington Plastic Surgeon

Time off after tummy tuck depends on the type of work and whether or not a drain is used. And other stuff!

+2

If you have a job that involves lifting, straining, or lots of activity, one week off work may well not be enough (unless, of course, you can get a doctor's note and your job allow "light duty" activities instead of your regular ones). Many jobs require you to be "back to full capability" before allowing your return (because of liability issues). So the "right" answer really depends.

If your surgeon uses a drain (I usually use one or two with tummy tucks, especially when liposuction is done at the same time), this can delay return to work--many of my patients do not want to return to their job unless the drain is out and they can both shower AND wear "normal" (not bulky or concealing) clothes. So the "right" answer really depends on even more!

And what do you mean by "Okay?" Showing up and punching the clock, or being able to work at your usual skill level, speed, and reliability? Do you think you may be still using pain pills at that point? Narcotic use can impair judgement and reflexes, and some jobs could consider this working impaired (so would some traffic courts), so you should be capable of using only Tylenol when you return to work. So it really depends.

Are you sensing a theme in my answer? I would advise a frank discussion with your surgeon, who should be able to address the specifics of the anticipated procedure, activity restrictions and bathing limitations, as well as resumption of your own actual job functions. If you're just trying to "sneak" this operation by your boss and co-workers, be prepared for a change of plans, just in case. Good luck and best wishes for a great result! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Time off work after tummy tuck

+2

I would be surprised if one week is enough. Don't underestimate your need to rest and heal. By one week patients are starting to get reasonably comfortable but post op fatigue is still a big factor. I think it wouold be better to plan a few extra days to get well.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Time Off After Tummy Tuck #tummytuck

+2

It really depends on how big of a day it is. If the Tummy Tuck is with liposuction sometimes you can be pretty sore for longer but still work. You should be ok but I find that most patients need a good 10-14 days. That second week is when you start to feel so much better because usually surgical drains come out and you start becoming more mobile. It also depends what your job is. A job that would require you to be more active is not good but a more sedentary job may be ok.

Richard J. Brown, MD

One week of recovery is generally not enough after a tummy tuck

+2

I advise my patients to take at least 2 weeks off after a tummy tuck.  Almost everyone I talk to before surgery thinks it will be too long and almost every post-op patient I see is glad they had the time and many wish they had more!  Returning to activity too soon increases your risk of complications and could potentially compromise your result.  I would recommend you talk to your surgeon about your recovery.  It may be best to arrange additional time for your recovery.

Andrew Jimerson, MD

Time off work after tummy tuck

+2

The amount of time off work after your tummy tuck depends on the type of work you do. If your work is not physically strenuous (such as office work), then 7 days is possible although 10-12 days would be more reasonable. Many patients have difficulty standing fully erect until about 7 days after surgery. If you will be sitting at a desk, and have the stamina to make it though the workday, then one week off would be realistic. Keep in mind that you'll need to be able to drive safely (off narcotic medications and able to respond quickly). In summary, try to take at least 10 days off if your job is sedentary, but 7-8 days might be manageable. If your job is more physically strenuous, plan on a longer recovery. Your surgeon can guide you best.

Andres Taleisnik, MD

Tummy tuck recovery is about two weeks.

+2

I usually tell my patients that it takes two weeks to recover from a tummy tuck to return to light duty type of jobs. Everyone is different. 

Frank Agullo, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Only a Week off Work After Tummy Tuck San Diego OK?

+2

The duration of rest after any procedure depends on multiple factors, and cannot be precisely predicted, only estimated for the "usual" case.  The type of abdominoplasty and amount and areas of liposuction are germane here.  Your pain threshold, the physical demands of your work, your age and underlying general health, response to analgesics, and other determinants are important in predicting return to work, play, child care, and other activities.  Even with all of those known, sometimes, recovery and return to work proceed more quickly or more slowly than anticipated.

You and Your surgeon know more about the above than anyone here on line. Listen to his or her advice.

Steve Laverson, MD

One week off seems too little after a tummy tuck

+2

Many patients take two weeks off work and wish thy could take a third.   One week seems ambitious and could set you up for additional problems, especially if your job is physically demanding.  I would recommend that you protect your significant investment by taking more time for recovery, if possible.  Best of luck.

Michael S. Hopkins, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Time off after tummy tuck

+2

I usually recommend taking 1-2 weeks off, but may even recommend 4-6 weeks in some cases.  This largely depends on the type of work you do.  If the work requires heavy activity including lifting > 10-20 lbs, and you don't have the flexibility for light duty, then you may need to take upto 6 weeks off.  On the other end of the spectrum, if your work mainly entails desk work, then time off work really depends on your ability to drive safely to/from work.  I.e. you should be off narcotic pain medications.  If you are planning a week off, then I would advise the use of a pain pump or some long-lasting pain relief that is non-narcotic based with your procedure as this may help you wean off narcotics much faster.

Hope this helps.  Good luck!

Young R. Cho, MD, PhD