Can I Get my TT Now?

I am 38 5 3 and weigh 185. I've had 2 consults and have chosen my dr. He wants me to loose 20 pounds. I am miserable in this fat body. i want and need to get rid of this tire around my waist. i cant wait 2 more months help me!!!! Do i really need to wait.

When to Get a Tummy Tuck

+3

Ideally, pictures would help. It's hard to properly assess your situation without seeing a front and side view of abdomen area. Typically, in my practice if a patient is roughy 15-20 lbs from a weight they can maintain, usually I'll do the surgery. It's always best to be close to your ideal weight so that you can achieve the best result. I think this sounds like a very reasonable request from your physician. Be patient and good luck.

Losing Weight Prior to Tummy Tuck

+3

Generally, I ask patients to be at a stable, long term weight prior to having surgery.  This will ensure the best results after surgery.  If after surgery you lose 20 pounds, you may see that you have loose skin, etc.

Ultimately, it is up to you to proceed with surgery prior to weight loss as long as you understand the possibility of needing a revision afterwards.

Can I Get my TT Now?

+3

As a general rule you will get a better result in the long term if you are close to your desired weight at the time of surgery. If we were talking 50 pounds, that could be a big enough difference that you might need a second TT if you were to lose the weight after surgery.

However for 20 pounds, I guess I would go ahead given your wishes, which count!

Thanks, and good luck.

Weight loss before abdominoplasty

+3

Certainly getting closer to your goal weight helps get a better result and minimizes risk.  I would suggest speaking to your surgeon about this issue and finding out if he feels you need to lose weight because of risk involved or to get a better result.  Obesity increases surgical and anesthetic complications.  Furthermore getting in the "fit" mindset of losing weights helps you maintain a long-term result.

The goal of the procedure is to get you a beautiful contour.  It is not a weight loss procedure.  I try to have patients lose as much as they can prior to surgery however some ladies get stuck at a weight and proceed with surgery.  As in so many questions on this site, I would suggest talking to your surgeon.

Evan Sorokin, MD
Cherry Hill Plastic Surgeon

Not Always Necessary to Wait

+3

If your health, ie diabetes, requires you to lose weight prior to surgery, then it is recommended.  If you are in good health, there is no need to lose weight, based on your measurements,  prior to surgery.  Oftentimes, surgery is huge motivator for patients to lose weight and get in shape afterwards!

Tripti Burt, MD

Hello

+3

In our practice we give our patients the option to wait or not to wait. It’s really up to you; I will say that if you do lose the weight before the surgery your results can be better.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Weight Loss & Tummy Tuck

+2

In general, it is a rule to be within 10-15% of your optimal body weight to do body contouring surgery as this will optimize your result. If you are a massive weight loss patient, you need to have maintained your weight for at least 1 ½ - 2 years after your gastric bypass or bariatric surgery. This will allow you to optimize the amount of skin excision and maximize your result.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Ok to proceed with Tummy Tuck

+2

From a patient safety profile, surgery will be safer at a lower body weight.  We need to weigh this risk compared to what body weight a patient is most likely to maintain longterm.  

If you can realistically maintain your weight loss long term, then I recommend that you lose the weight as an investment in your safety and enhanced overall result.

But, if you feel you are at your realistic ideal weight, then i recommend surgery.   I am worried that if you lose weight, have surgery, then gain the weight back; you will be unhappy with the end result. 

Bottomline, your plastic surgeon is going to give you the best result possible during your surgery.   If you lose or gain a lot of weight after surgery, it will significantly alter the result.

Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Lower weight at surgery will help you avoid complications

+2

I think it is very reasonable to wait until you lose the 20 lbs since, this will help you avoid complications from the surgery.  Generally, the rule of thumb that I go by with my patients is a body mass index of below 30 which is for a woman 5'3" comes out to about 165-170 lbs.  It is well known that heavier patients run into more complications from tummy tucks than women who are not. The complications can range from infections and stitches coming apart to blood clots in the legs and the lungs.

I know that you want to get this done and embrace your new body sooner than later, but waiting until you lose the wait to decrease your chances of running into complications is well worth it!

Richard H. Lee, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon